Symptoms of a clogged air filter B&S 17 hp

I have a tractor with a B&S 17 hp and its been alluding me as to the problem Im having. I dont want to bias any ones ideas..... SO....

What would the symptoms be if a motor had an almost completely clogged air filter?
 
It would be like putting a rag up you're nose, how would you feel..? it would'nt work (run) that well. and be over rich.
 
well, I was looking for more of a SYMPTOM sort of thing, thinking someone MUST have had this happen

I was thinking rings, then a head gasket...but its looking like it was a clogged air filter. The machine would start and purr, but after a few minutes, would begin to sputter and puff blue smoke with each sputter. I noticed quite a bit of oil build up in the air cleaner housing....made me curious. I wrapped the air intake with an old clean shirt and let it run for 15 min..NO sputtering, NO blue smoke. And when I placed the air cleaner back on, it slammed back down from suction...telling me nothing is getting pulled through the filter and a LOT of oil and exhaust is getting pulled up into the carb from the vent. Could It be that simple??

Ed
 
exactly right....Im usually pretty good at diagnosing problems like this, but I NEVER had something like this. Its a 2007 machine, and I just got it a week ago...Im guessing its the original filter.
 
Back
Top