Swapping single cylinder to V-Twin

LaWn GuY

Threads
My little Weed Eater tractor Is going on It's third engine. Factory engine was a 13 hp Tecumseh OHV. Had too many problems and was cheaper to have the shop put another used engine In. So they put In a 12 hp B&S flat head. Well this engine Is throwing heavy metal In It's oil and has always ran rough ever since I've had It. So I found a 14 hp B&S Vanguard V-Twin that Im gonna swap In. Im assuming It should be pretty easy. The tractor Is like new with zero rust. How hard does this sound like?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Important things when swapping an engine.
Mounting bolt configuration (mostly standardized)
Crankshaft PTO length and diameter
And wiring.

Lawn Addict
Threads
What he said.......:thumbsup:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When I fit V twins to mowers that used to run flat head engines, I often have to install them sideways because they foul on the hood.
Then it is a chop & weld jobbie on the exhausts.
On most side valve singles the exhaust blows strait out the side of the hood
On V twins it blows down & most have a purpose built muffler under the front of the mower.
A customer who drives big rigs, fixed this problem by fitting a pair of chrome stacks cobbled together from some old motorcycle exhausts.
He has a HD and gets std pipes pulled off new bikes really cheap.
The finishing touch was painting the hood yellow and sticking a Cat decal on the sides

Lawn Addict
Threads
When I fit V twins to mowers that used to run flat head engines, I often have to install them sideways because they foul on the hood.
On V twins it blows down & most have a purpose built muffler under the front of the mower.
A customer who drives big rigs, fixed this problem by fitting a pair of chrome stacks cobbled together from some old motorcycle exhausts.
The finishing touch was painting the hood yellow and sticking a Cat decal on the sides

Bert-
That sounds like a winner to me. I actually was thinking of adding stacks on my Kawasaki V2 /powered Toro.

I do have ample old HD exhausts.........

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads

Bert-
That sounds like a winner to me. I actually was thinking of adding stacks on my Kawasaki V2 /powered Toro.

I do have ample old HD exhausts.........
When the hearing starts to go you need to make em louder:laughing::cool2:

Lawn Addict
Threads
True enough. :laughing:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads

Disregard the political sticker. (Not my mower) But if this can be done, then just about anything else can be done (to a mower)