Swap Larger Drive Wheels on Raptor?

rexb16a

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey guys new here. I have searched around and can't see anyone else trying this.

I bought my 52" Raptor 2 years ago and I had a set amount of money I was going to pay for a used mower. To get the brand new Raptor was just $500 more than I was going to spend on a used one so I thought I'd go new for a 3 year warranty. If they would have offered the SD version back then I probably would have considered it.

I have 4.5 acres of yard to keep up with and I know I should have gotten something bigger for that much but for the budget I had I think I got the best mower I could have regardless. I am super happy with it I just wish I had a little more speed for wide open areas. So since the SD came out I really like the larger drive wheels and I got an idea.

Found a local 2006 mini Z that someone is parting out. I realize the speed of the SD Raptor has to do with the transmission also but would it be possible or is is a bad idea to consider buying larger wheels for my Raptor possibly off of this mini Z or something like it to hold hills a little better and to get a little more speed? I thought just upgrading the wheels may give me a little more speed advantage.

The only downside I can see is maybe my deck not being level with lager diameter tires on the back. But then again, I think the tires on the larger wheels are lower profile so the overall tire diameter may not be that different. I don't know without measuring to be sure.