Super bronco kohler swap

Tractorsaw1

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all, first post here & thanks for any advice. I picked up a super bronco with a 19hp kohler with a busted block. I would like to swap in a 18hp twin kohler command. The bronco is about 4 to 5 years old. The 18 is coming out of a craftsman that the front end is shot on & deck is giving up the ghost. Is there any thing I need to look out for on this swap? The bronco has a 42" deck while the craftsman had a 46, so should have plenty of power. thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Crankshaft could be a different size, and the muffler will be different between the two. While have to get a muffler for a twin kohler that fits a MTD and may need different exhaust manifolds. Depending on location of choke and throttle the cables may be too short.

Tractorsaw1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I believe both are 1" cranks, the twin is slightly longer. Choke cable on the twin needs replaced any way. I have both mowers in my possession. Muffler i kinda thought would be an issue. so any twin kohler muffler for mtd or 18 hp only? My buddy said he would set me up with dual stacks LOL. Thanks, was also wondereing about any wiring fun.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
MTD for the most part uses just two mufflers. Single cylinder and twin cylinder. The wiring may be slightly different but should be fairly the same since you are not changing brand of engine. If both engines have the 6 pin connector then it should be just plug and play.

Tractorsaw1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I didn't get that lucky, they both have different connectors. The twin cylinder is older than the courage single. I will probably start the swap this weekend. What is the best way to try to figure out which wires go to what? Is it possible to look up each mowers wiring schem somewhere? Thanks for the help

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Since you have both engines there, just figure out which wire comes from the same location on both engines. Afterfire solenoid wire to afterfire solenoid wire. Ground wire to ground wire, Charge wire to charge wire, etc.