Storm preparedness?

monica123

Threads
We just had a horrid storm and were without power for 3 days, we weren't exactly ready for it, what are some suggestions to have done ahead of time, just in case? Especially with winter storms on the horizon.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Water
Food
Heat
and Don't forget your pets... KennyV

Driller

Threads
Definitely have a prep kit of some time with food and water. You also want a first aid kit and basic things like a good flashlight or spot light. Blankets and such that you can quickly get your hands on are of help as well.

jenkinsph

Threads
How about some toilet paper, small trash bags and a hassock. Small bottle of bleach and a bucket.

All things we need to be civilized.:biggrin:

Belstar

Threads
Lots of good suggestions here. I always keep a supply of long lasting food for emergencies, but make sure it is not something too tasty or you'll find yourself snacking on it and forgetting to replace the items.:biggrin:

adan

Threads
I would suggest having lots of canned goods, can opener, a water tank (drinkable), lots of batteries for the flashlight and transistor radio, a box of matches as well as candles.

Regarding can openers and matches, you wouldn't believe how many people easily forget them. Imagine having stacks of canned goods and being unable to open them. Or imagine bunch of candles with no match to light them. It is important furthermore to store the match in a water tight container.

RobertBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
We just had a horrid storm and were without power for 3 days, we weren't exactly ready for it, what are some suggestions to have done ahead of time, just in case? Especially with winter storms on the horizon.
Living if Florida Hurricanes are a big concern from june to November. I have lost power for over a week on more than one occasion.
List for Preparedness are available to assist in making kits for these occurances. I would suggest that you google "Hurricane preparedness list" to give you some ideas. After having dealt with extended power outages I would not be without at least one generator, 5000 watt minmum. My hobbies and interest provide the need for one anyway. It's important to remember that this machine needs to be maintained and kept in a ready state. So running/testing it on a monthly basis and storing it properly is essential.
Personal needs vary with each individual, you may have health issues, pets or relatives that need special attention.
Storing non perishables such as water and food is important as when emergenies happen everyone needs the same basics and they become scarce. You will find that bottled water and batteries will dissapear from the store shelves rather quickly, so these are the things to consider when assembling your kit. Finding lights that work on 12vdc are really handy, as rechargeable batteries become invaluable in extended power outages, I'm refering to gel cell or even automotive batteries with proper ventilation.

indypower

Threads
How about some toilet paper, small trash bags and a hassock. Small bottle of bleach and a bucket.

All things we need to be civilized.:biggrin:

Bleach? what would that be used for in a storm?

AndyMan

Threads
If you are in an area with deep snow you may consider an extra gas can or two so you can keep your snow blower working. It's a real bummer to have to shovel out three feet of heavy wet snow just so you can get to the gas station.

Also, make sure your prescription meds are not in danger of running out this time of year. Many times a prescription can be refilled before it is actually empty, just in case.