Still running rich??

srespass

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well here what's going on, Kohler 22hp Series 7000. Replaced carb, re-set the governor, new filter, gas cut-off valve, fresh gas, new fuel pump, new air filter, new coils, new plugs, and the thing still running rich. Thought maybe I got a bad carb, so got another one, same results. Where do I go from here - valves? Could not find any adjustment on the carb, motor runs great, put running very rich so black smoke at high idle. anyone have any ideas-what am i missing - motor has 101 hours on it

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Locate your engine repair manual above & see troubleshooting section. Use OEM Kohler Parts for your engine. Remove oil dipstick & smell for gasoline in oil.

Last edited:

Forest#2

Threads
You did not give us any exact Kohler engine numbers, but several of the Kohler's have hydraulic valve lifter and do not have any adjusters.

As Mech Mark says gas in the oil will cause the overrich looking condition and if the oil is 10/30 per specs it don't take very much contamination if the dip stick level is full or slightly above.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
You did not give us any exact Kohler engine numbers, but several of the Kohler's have hydraulic valve lifter and do not have any adjusters.

As Mech Mark says gas in the oil will cause the overrich looking condition and if the oil is 10/30 per specs it don't take very much contamination if the dip stick level is full or slightly above.
Hopefully you did not throw carburetor away. What are numbers/letters on carburetor and brand. Choke may not be working correctly causing it to run rich. Is it blowing out black smoke?

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Choke may not be coming all the way off when you start it. Some of these mowers have throttle controls where the choke is incoperated into the throttle control do this. have to work on some to get them to work properly. Don't know why the idiots that build these can't figure this problem out.