Stihl FS45 string trimmer bump knob - cannot remove

dukerocks

Threads
You could remove the tube from the engine and try to clamp on the drive cable, but you would just destroy that too.

You could just get a good looking female relative to bring it by a Stihl dealer, and they would just zip that little nut right off with an impact wrench, if it isn't too boogered up, and sell you a new head, and you could be trimming tonight, and they probably wouldn't charge you any labor.

Good thought! I should try it if all else fails. But feel the cable will turn with their air tool too. Bob

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
An impact would zip it off easily, which is why I suggest you do this. An air wrench, and an impact wrench, they are 2 totally different tools, drop by a Stihl dealer this morning, they probably wouldn't even charge you to try it.........

dukerocks

Threads
An impact would zip it off easily, which is why I suggest you do this. An air wrench, and an impact wrench, they are 2 totally different tools, drop by a Stihl dealer this morning, they probably wouldn't even charge you to try it.........

The good new this morning is that I got that nut off. I had soaked it in penitrating oil for a couple of days and created my own impact tool with a socket & wrench. I put the sock on the nut with the wrench attached and smacked the hell out of the wrench with a large hammer a couple of times and it broke loose. Now I have to wonder what did I hear snap when I used the opposing wrenches. Any ideas, or just try to start up to see if anything turns? Of course, I need a new knob, as I had cut away the old to get to the nut. Thanks

dukerocks

Threads
now, if you were to lock the black plastic bumphead in vise, and turn the nut to the left it should unscrew right off. If the shaft is turning in the tube,
then the bump head is stripped out. Because the two mating sides of that look like this:

View attachment 21656

View attachment 21657

Now that I have my trim head out, I see a spring in mine that you don't have in the lst pic. However, I don't know if this spring is long enough, maybe part broken off (snap I heard). I don't see any broken part of it though.