Export thread

Stihl FS 55R Spark Arrestor?

D

DIYGene

Hello all, I'm new to forum. I have looked at many videos on location of the spark arrestor. I don't know, but mine doesn't have the 15mm hex screw that they show. I believe mine is an older model and what's involved to find and clean it ?
Thank you for any insight.

StarTech

StarTech

Then you probably have one of the KAT mufflers.
1681516724153.png

D

DIYGene

Then you probably have one of the KAT mufflers.
View attachment 63892
Thanks for the reply. I assume nothing to clean?

StarTech

StarTech

No there is a spark arrester screen. See item 2 and 13 in the image from the IPL I posted.

D

DIYGene

Thanks Star Tech. I see a hole in the bottom of the weedeater, but I can't tell what type of screen it is.

D

DIYGene

What type of screw it is, I mean.

D

DIYGene

Ok Star Tech. It is a KAT muffler. I removed the back of the weedeater and I saw the screw on the bottom, but I haven't seen a screen. It looks like a metal exhaust port to the bottom of the muffler.

B

bertsmobile1

They fall off and people take them off becuse they are too lazy to clean them

D

DIYGene

I don't know, but the screw is still intact. I don't see where a screen would be on my FS 55r, going by the diagram Star Tech sent. It is a solid metal port across the bottom of the KAT.

D

DIYGene

Is this one that I have to pull the entire KAT muffler out to clean the screen ? That's what it appears to me.

B

bertsmobile1

No
All screens are easily removed for cleaning
However I have seen many that really looked likea solid piece of steel they were so badly clogged .
It may have never been fitted from the start
It could have fractured & fallen off
If you have taken it to a shop for repairs it could have been removed & not replaced.
They are a requirement of forestry departments to prevent accidentially starting forest fires so not needed by most home owners .

D

DIYGene

No
All screens are easily removed for cleaning
However I have seen many that really looked likea solid piece of steel they were so badly clogged .
It may have never been fitted from the start
It could have fractured & fallen off
If you have taken it to a shop for repairs it could have been removed & not replaced.
They are a requirement of forestry departments to prevent accidentially starting forest fires so not needed by most home owners .
Thanks Bertsmobile1. I couldn't find it and you were probably right that it was removed and never replaced. Here's a picture looking from the rear of the exhaust when I had it open. There is a torx screw just in front, that's not visible in the picture, that probably was used for the screen.

Attachments