Stihl 028 chainsaw won't start

LonJ

Threads
Do you know what the torque spec is on the nut?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I noticed when I removed the flywheel to check the points that the key in the crank was almost if not totally flush with crank. It did not look functional to me. Any thoughts?
I assume if the key is sheared then the timing is messed up. Maybe a new woodruff key and reassembly of flywheel correctly is all I really need!

Looks if you are getting there, this is from the stihl manual.......

Clean the crankshaft taper and flywheel hub bore with suitable degreasing agent (e.g. trichlorethlene, diluted nitro) make sure the key is properly positioned in its slot, fit the flywheel on the crankshaft so that the key engages in the slot in the flywheel hub, screw hexagon nut onto the crankshaft stub and tighten it down to a torque load of 30 Nm.
The key is only provided to ensure that the flywheel is correctly positioned, the driving force between the crankshaft and flywheel must be absorbed entirely by the taper seat, it is therefore absolutely essential to ensure that the crankshaft nut is tightened down to the specified torque of 30 Nm.

LonJ

Threads
Thanks for the torque info.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes, thanks Engineman. To upgrade the 028, one needs to get the 0000 400 1300 coil, which happens to fit many of the Stihl midsize saws, including the 029/ms290, which there a multitude of good used parts floating around.

LonJ

Threads
Yes, thanks Engineman. To upgrade the 028, one needs to get the 0000 400 1300 coil, which happens to fit many of the Stihl midsize saws, including the 029/ms290, which there a multitude of good used parts floating around.

Thanks Fish for your ignition upgrade recommendation.

LonJ

Threads
Got her running great. Thanks for all of the support. I do have a new question. Is there any way to adjust the amount of oil supplied to the chain? I have cleaned out all of the holes in the bar, checked the oil outlet area on the block. The oil reservoir does diminish while operating, but the bar gets hot and ultimately causes the chain to get too tight.