Stihl 025

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
So you have never been in the situation where an elderly person brought in a saw the "Will Not Start ".
So you crank it and it fires right up, so you give it a clean & send it back
Then next week he brings it back because it still won't start
so this repeats a few times then you ask them to show you what they are doing when you realize that they can not pull the starter fast enough to get it to start .
Sadly, an older gentleman at church is at that point. He says the push mower is hard to start and he just can't pull it over fast enough. It is tough on an ex marine and farmer to realize you can't do things.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I started doing two stroke and 4 stroke small engines out of nessity seeing shop rate's so high. My neighbor gave me an MS 250 and that was my first experience with that easy start. I personally think that it is stupid. If you can't start a saw just pulling a recoil then you are not strong enough to handle any type of kick back. Not that you would get allot out of a 025 or MS 250 especially with an anti kick back chain. I don't like those chain either but I can see where someone that cuts once a year might. I haven't posted anything here in along time. By the time I get to the question most of the answers are posted.
I have been thinking of started a couple of small buisness's one small engine the other appliance work. I have been doing some appliance ork since I fixed the refigorator at church. I haven't charged anyone yet. And the appliance world has changed with everthing being solid state and poorly made. I told one guy to throw his dryer in the trash the conrtols were mounted to a plastic cover an you have to lift a tab a twist the plastic was old and brittle. It didn't even have a model number on it. So I couldn't get parts any way!! I have some old Stihls and allot of project saws but they are going to get tossed or sent to someone that has time for them. I jsut gave a friend a Jonsred 70e to a friend I was a good running saw. but just to heavy for my back. He is 25 and can handle the weight. It has a 9 tooth OEM sproket on it and a 20 in bar. She cuts fast!!! But getting any parts for it was just about impossible!
Have a good holiday season!!
I too don't like the sponginess of the ready start. But what you are not aware of is the reason for the easy start in some cases. One is makes it easier to start if you know how to make it work. But the hidden effect is when the easy start became a thing is about the time the EPA regulations starting taking effect. And one thing that happened is they had to change the timing on the modules to a more advanced timing to meet the EPA standards. That timing change created a very high probability that the customer was going to get the starter rope ripped out of their hand when starting the saw. Since then they have moved into variable timing ignition but the first time I came across a Stihl that would rip the rope from your hand one of three times was the 025. And with talking to the local Stihl dealer about it was informed that wasn't the only saw effected.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sadly, an older gentleman at church is at that point. He says the push mower is hard to start and he just can't pull it over fast enough. It is tough on an ex marine and farmer to realize you can't do things.
And that is one of the reasons why Briggs changed from the old induction 600 rpm to spark modules to the newer CDI 300 rpm to spark modules.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Get him to try a thinner base oil multigrade oil , makes a big difference
A very short customer showed me the trick of pulling the rope while pushing the handle.
That works well for a lot of women & was what I had to do for 18 months after the RA gone & I was left very weak.
The long rope through an eye 2/3 up the handle ( don't know if it is a thing in the USA ) also helps a lot , particularly if using the handle push method of starting.
After that is is a Honda powered mower as Hondas do start a lot easier
Down here I get them to try one of my Victas with a new decompressor because those are all about speed and not effort .