Sthil Farm Boss cold starting issues

handirifle

Threads
I have a Sthil Farm Boss Chain saw that I bought new, and have had for about 3 years. Last year, it started acting up a little, but this year when cold starting, it takes about 20+ pulls to start.

I changed the spark plug and set the gap to between .020-.025", according to local repair shop. I use 2 stroke oil for the gas and mix it according to instruction on the oil container.

Once started and run for a bit it starts back up with one easy pull.

Suggestions on where to start? It is a bummer to wear myself out on these cold starts.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The diaphragms in the carb maybe getting stiff, which would cause hard starting. The other thing that I see several times a year, is the fuel line will crack at the bend right above the tank. The fuel line will not leak fuel but will suck air which can lead to hard starting and lean running. You will need to use a good light and look at the fuel line above the tank and look for cracks in the line.

handirifle

Threads
Ok great, gave me something to look for. Will start with the fuel line and I guess the carb if the line is good?

Anything inbetween those two items?

handirifle

Threads
This is an old thread, sort of but thought I'd post an update, since I just today, finally got around to working on this Farm Boss.

I looked it over carefully, but haven't pulled it apart, yet. From the looks of it, I have to take the carb OFF the engine to get to the fuel inlets. Am I looking at this thing correctly.

On a good note, I applied the same ideas given here to my Echo weed trimmer, since it was taking 20+ pulls to start. I pulled the carb, and the little plate that the fuel priming bulb works with. The plate has a rubber diaphragm on the carb side.

I blew the little orifices out with an air hose, and it started on the second pull. Woo hoo!

Wish I was more sure on the Stihl though.

If I posted a pic of the carb setup would that be more helpful?