Stens going to a credit card only payment system.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
  • / Stens going to a credit card only payment system.
Just got a notification from Stens that they are going to a credit card only payment system starting December 11, 2023. so no more open account paid at the end of the month. Parts orders will be billed to your credit card at the time of purchase.

Lawn Addict
Threads
World is constantly changing, & lots ain't fer the better.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And credit cards is something I have been trying to get away from due problems with my MasterCard provider. It takes two weeks to get payments to the card processed when with ACH payments they are done in a couple days as is the PayPal transactions.

But even worst is Gardner switching over to a Microsoft based system that demands me to allow cookies which when you read the terms and conditions means I would be giving Microsoft unfetter to access my computer, my passwords, social media accounts, local area Wi-Fi networks, etc. I run NoScript and block all cookies for a reason I have been hacked several times before I did and nearly lost all my data at one time. I was lucky that time as I had just back-up the entire system the day before.

Now I got to buy a stand alone system just to be able to order parts from them as I can't allow Gardner nor Microsoft unfetter access to my systems as either needs to what I have on my business systems. Either that or find another distributor that not as a big pain to deal with. It would mean shutting the Wi-Fi and the Cat6 system everytime I access Gardner but if that what it takes I will do it. Laptops are cheap when compared losing all my data.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
And credit cards is something I have been trying to get away from due problems with my MasterCard provider. It takes two weeks to get payments to the card processed when with ACH payments they are done in a couple days as is the PayPal transactions.

But even worst is Gardner switching over to a Microsoft based system that demands me to allow cookies which when you read the terms and conditions means I would be giving Microsoft unfetter to access my computer, my passwords, social media accounts, local area Wi-Fi networks, etc. I run NoScript and block all cookies for a reason I have been hacked several times before I did and nearly lost all my data at one time. I was lucky that time as I had just back-up the entire system the day before.

Now I got to buy a stand alone system just to be able to order parts from them as I can't allow Gardner nor Microsoft unfetter access to my systems as either needs to what I have on my business systems. Either that or find another distributor that not as a big pain to deal with. It would mean shutting the Wi-Fi and the Cat6 system everytime I access Gardner but if that what it takes I will do it. Laptops are cheap when compared losing all my data.

I would think Stens will take debit cards as well as credit cards with this change. Stens was not at Equipment Expo in Louisville, KY like they have been before this year. Also, they never followed up in person as they said they would when I expressed interest in doing business early this year. Looks like things are tightening up at Stens, just like many other companies.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I won't have a debit card due to the policy of you are on the hook for fraud until they prove it wasn't you. I had a customer last that his wife got a debit and within 24hrs $4000 was remove from bank account and it took several months to get the money back. Somebody had scanned their card remotely at a shopping mall.

Upon my suggestion they now RFID blocking devices protecting the card when not in use.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I would think Stens will take debit cards as well as credit cards with this change. Stens was not at Equipment Expo in Louisville, KY like they have been before this year. Also, they never followed up in person as they said they would when I expressed interest in doing business early this year. Looks like things are tightening up at Stens, just like many other companies.
Here is a paste of the email I received

Important Billing Update​

We want to express our sincere gratitude for your continued loyalty and partnership with Stens. As part of our commitment to improving our services, we're transitioning to a more secure credit card payment system, effective December 11, 2023. This change is aimed at simplifying transactions and ensuring a safer and more efficient payment process for you.
Here's what you can expect from this upgrade:
  1. Transition Date:
    • Starting December 11, 2023, all transactions will be processed through credit card payments. On your next order you will be asked to enter your credit card information.
  2. Accepted Credit Cards:
    • We will accept Mastercard, Visa, or American Express. Please verify and update your information via our website or by contacting Customer Service to avoid any service interruptions.
  3. Billing Process:
    • Invoices will no longer carry Net 30 terms. Instead, your credit card will be billed at the time of purchase for added convenience.
We understand that changes in payment methods may affect your financial planning. Should you have any questions or concerns, please contact our customer service team at 1-800-457-7444.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
For their convenience.

Probably the next thing will be they start adding a convenience fee for using the credit cards. I got two distributors here that charges this fee and one took seven months to change me over to ACH payments; meanwhile, they lost seven months of sales to me during my busy time of the year to the other distributor which changed me over in less than 30 minutes.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have always paid stens with a dedicated business credit card and I have auto payment of the statement balance of the card setup so I don't pay any interest on the card. I run all business transactions I can through the CC. My version of net30. I get a small amount of cash back too.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I have always paid stens with a dedicated business credit card and I have auto payment of the statement balance of the card setup so I don't pay any interest on the card. I run all business transactions I can through the CC. My version of net30. I get a small amount of cash back too.
And their is currently a push in congress to end bonus points, cashback programs on CC sponsored and written by my own state senator Dick Durbin.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Boy that is something very rare, A congressman that actually tries to work. most of them seems to be waiting to the last minute to do anything.

Anyway my problem with the CC is not the card itself but the new owners of the CU. Previously everything worked very well. Now the new group just keep changing the ground rules every few months. It had cause a lot of problems with delayed card payments which had me holding orders up to two weeks because they didn't process the payment even though they the payment in hand. Now they are probably wonder where that nearly $4K in charges have gone. This last month balance was only $85.

Recently they want the password to my local CU account. I don't think so.