Steering issues

Cherrypicker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Picked up a used GT2100, pretty good shape, mainly looking for a 50" deck to replace a rusted out one on one of my LX500 models. Turns out they aren't interchangeable, GT2100 is a larger/higher tractor, and I discovered the rear life mounts on the deck of the GT2100 are taller. In any case been trying to figure out a steering issue with this GT2100, going forward doesn't seem to be an issue, but when backing up the wheels flop and are misaligned. One or both of the drag links had been bent, one almost worn through running against a pulley evidently. It appears the drag links on the LX500 and GT2100 are identical, so I have modified, heated/bent those to match. There are some plastic bushings that were worn/missing where the links bolt to the steering sector plate. I've replaced those, $$$ for what you get. There was a bushing called a shoulder spacer missing so replaced that with one off a LX500. I replaced plastic wheel bushings, swivel end links appear to be in good shape, but I still have too much slop in steering. I noticed that even though I replaced the "shoulder spacer" there is some movement of the steering sector plate, so assuming hole has oblonged. I have a "steering sector plate" on order, appears to have the plastic bushings, shoulder spacer, a new steering shaft gear and am hoping this will tighten up the steering. I got the unit for $300, good running 23 hp Kohler, solid trans, deck, tires are decent and hold air and good battery, now if I can just get the steering sorted out

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
This manual will probably be of some help. Retrofitting drag links probably aren’t helping your cause, as angles and lengths are critical. With a little research you may find bronze bushings to replace plastic, but I’ve had good results with OEM replacements. https://www.toro.com/getpub/48880

Cherrypicker

Forum Newbie
Threads
Appreciate link to the manual. I worked on reshaping the links because they are difficult to find as Toro parts, listed as unavailable. These machines were manufactured by MTD, I eventually did find a pr of used ones not specifically for this machine but the parts #'s were the same, so we will see. The front axle steering assemblies are held onto the axle with push nuts which also weren't available thru Toro, but found those as well, for similar machines. I had considered just drilling holes through the spindle using cotter pins and washer, but this will be simpler and better cosmetically.