steering bushing confusion

Oldaarpy

Threads
WHOA! This was sold to me, by a dealer, as a 2015 unit in 2015. The model number behind the seat has the numbers 178-00. Under the hood the model numbers end at 178. Looks like it was at least two years old when I bought it. I'm not very pleased if this is true! Found the part and 227 should be the correct upper bushing for this mower. However, it's so sloppy it can't be correct. Is the 228 smaller? Maybe I should just bite bullet and buy one. Thank. Tom

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Actually you got a 960430178-01 since it is the only one that use the white (natural) plastic bushing. Sometimes the labels are off but normally the serial number tag has the right revision listed.

As age you can cross reference the engine's date code if Briggs or the serial number if Kohler and they are normal installed within a few month of engine build date.

Last edited:

Oldaarpy

Threads
Actually you got a 9604301178-01 since it is the only one that use the white (natural) plastic bushing. Sometimes the labels are off but normally the serial number tag has the right revision listed.

As age you can cross reference the engine's date code if Briggs or the serial number if Kohler and they are normal installed within a few month of engine build date.
It's a Briggs. 141222YG. 2014,Dec.22? And 228 would be the right bushing?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
IF that is the date then the mower is a 2015 model.

As for the 532195228 bushing it is for a 5/8 (16MM) shaft provided I am measuring the in house bushing correctly which is little hard with the slanted through hole.

Oldaarpy

Threads
IF that is the date then the mower is a 2015 model.

As for the 532195228 bushing it is for a 5/8 (16MM) shaft provided I am measuring the in house bushing correctly which is little hard with the slanted through hole.
Must be the labels are wrong on the tractor. I really appreciate all the help. Tom

Oldaarpy

Threads
I measured the steering column, it's 5/8 so I ordered two of the white 228. Thanks again.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You can not date a mower by the engine date
Usually the engine will be the same year as the tractor or the year earlier but not uncommon to find a new mower with an engine that is from 2, 3 or even 4 years earlier .
Happens when initial engine deliveries are late or the run out of engines before the end of the season.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Bert Husqvarna here usually install the engines within a month or two of receiving them. And some mower serial numbers a few days time. But the OP post the mower serial number then I might be able to decode it.

Now different manufactures do have different ways of generating the serial numbers but Husqvarna usually does it the finish rolls off the assembly line.