steering and deck

berkztr

Threads
hi everyone, i have inherited a mtd 700 series mower. the steering wheel does nearly a full turn before engaging the wheels. any body got any ideas what is causing this, also the R deck hanger bracket has broken off. DeckH_hole.jpg got industrial welder guy to weld it back on, $120 way cheaper than a new deck. I can't weld.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Wear in the steering bearing on the end of the steering shaft which you have not been oiling

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
how do you think i could fix it

so you don't think it's in the wheel axels
Can be some wear there too. But it is usually the steering shaft end bearing and the sector gear mounting bolt. They changed from a carriage bolt to a regular hex screw with full threads and the threads are getting crushed allowing excess movement in the sector gear. I have the steering shaft bearing so worn that the gearing jumps teeth destroying the steering shaft.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In the diagram below the parts that wear and cause sloppy steering in numerical order order
1) hole wears oval , teeth wear short , pin gets thin
2) bolt gets groove
10 ) end gets loose
14) teeth wear short
15) bush floggs out
17 ) hole at rear end wears oval
19) comes loose
24 ( x2 ) holes go oval
34) bushes wear & split
35) wears grooves

Any & all of these or any combination will cause sloppy steering .
Untitled 7.jpg

berkztr

Threads
In the diagram below the parts that wear and cause sloppy steering in numerical order order
1) hole wears oval , teeth wear short , pin gets thin
2) bolt gets groove
10 ) end gets loose
14) teeth wear short
15) bush floggs out
17 ) hole at rear end wears oval
19) comes loose
24 ( x2 ) holes go oval
34) bushes wear & split
35) wears grooves

Any & all of these or any combination will cause sloppy steering .
View attachment 60036
Thanks Bert, really helpful. I can manage nuts and bolts ok, struggle with the bigger picture. Have just managed to reinstall my fixed mower deck, and start the mower yeaa!. Am just waiting for items to arrive to fix up to number 15. Will look at other areas you have mentioned. Thanks again

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just note you will need a High-Torque Number 4 Phillips (cross point) Bit, 5/16" Hex driver to remove the screw. A Number 3 Phillips will not work. The bit I use can be used with an impact as the screw has Loctite on it holding it place.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The owners manual tells you to oil 15 every time you use the mower
It is the one spot that I do not use the usually lithium spray grease but instead use motorcycle O ring chain spray
Like Star I use the impact bits in a ratchet to undo those screws
Very awkward to get onto with the engine in place .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Just got to hold your tongue over your eye tooth just right but on the ones I do the operator tower mounted tank fuel tank gets removed and the deck dropped.