Starts slow

Jane

Threads
Craftsman DYT4000 917.2736401
So when I go to start the mower the mower turns over slow, hesitates then then turns over and starts. Took the battery out and had it tested and was bad. I put new battery in so it’s not the battery. Could it be the starter? Any suggestions on how to fix the issue Thanks

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Check all your electrical connections, especially the battery to chassis ground. Common problem, may be corroded or loose.

Jane

Threads
I respect everyone’s opinion and thank you for yours . I did check grounds seem fine but I will go and check again. Wondering if it could be a starter issue

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, it could be a starter issue, but you want to check the easy things first. Try jumping directly from the battery to the starter. If it spins faster, then you know it’s not the starter. Could also be valve clearance is not correct.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Also check the oik level, and smell it to be sure gasoline isn't leaking from the carb into the cylinder(s) causing a hydro lock.

Jane

Threads
Also check the oik level, and smell it to be sure gasoline isn't leaking from the carb into the cylinder(s) causing a hydro lock.
I did check that already and it’s all good but Thank you for the info

Jane

Threads
Yes, it could be a starter issue, but you want to check the easy things first. Try jumping directly from the battery to the starter. If it spins faster, then you know it’s not the starter. Could also be valve clearance is not correct.
Thank you I will try that next

Jane

Threads
Thank you I will try that next
Hello I jumped the starter from battery and there was no change in the battery it did the same thing that it’s been doing so I’m assuming the starter is bad Would that be your assumption too ? Thank You very much you all have been a tremendous help to me

HughDaHand

Threads
I would check the valve lash before condemning the starter. Sounds like it's out of spec causing the compression release not to work. It rotates the engine until it hits the compression stroke then gets it started on the next rotation where it gets a full running start on it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
IPL shows mower came with a Briggs 31P777-0348-E1.

Yes valve clearance. Also ACR bump on the Intake valve (lower rocker should move) as you approach TDC compression stroke. The 793880 camshafts are bad about these ACRs failing especially on the 310000 and 330000 series Briggs engines.