Starts and runs only 10 seconds or so.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
So, the main jet, float needle and jet were just changed, the passages shot with carb cleaner and it's running better than for as long as I can remember. Before the stalling issue, it used to surge and hunt with unloaded rpm going up and down. All gone now. So the two suggestions above about the jets made it new again. It did not come with one but I think a fuel filter will be a good addition.
Thanks.
Briggs PN should be 298090s

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
buy a 12 dollar chinese carb off ebay
I used to think like that. Easy to just order something and hope it works. No cleaning involved. Just bolt on a new one. Just wait till you get a bad one and the mower won't start/run.

Best to if possible, clean the OEM Briggs carb. That is "if" you can remove all the jets and such. Remove all the small parts. Put it in the wife's dishwasher on hot pot scrubber mode. Sucker will come out like a new Holley.

slomo

Beamster

Threads
I used to think like that. Easy to just order something and hope it works. No cleaning involved. Just bolt on a new one. Just wait till you get a bad one and the mower won't start/run.

Best to if possible, clean the OEM Briggs carb. That is "if" you can remove all the jets and such. Remove all the small parts. Put it in the wife's dishwasher on hot pot scrubber mode. Sucker will come out like a new Holley.

slomo
The WIFE'S dishwasher?

Beamster

Threads
Now to do that all on the Briggs Tiller engine who's unleaded engine speed hunts. That is a very different looking carb that dips into the tank. It must be a pumper.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Wish they were clear but those seem to be a finer filter fabric
they have a screen inside them, the red filter is a 150 microns, and the white filter is 75 microns, some people say they work better for gravity fed fuel systems, however, i've used Wix 33011 on gravity fed systems with never any problems.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
they have a screen inside them, the red filter is a 150 microns, and the white filter is 75 microns, some people say they work better for gravity fed fuel systems, however, i've used Wix 33011 on gravity fed systems with never any problems.
I use paper filters on gravity feed carbs too. No issues ever. Even the cheap ebay paper filter and shutoff' packages are fine.

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Only place I fit those filters is on push mowers because they are small & light

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
If you look into the end of those red Briggs 150 and 75 micron filters, all you see is similar to a window screen mesh type deal. Paper is the clear winner in filtering capability.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
The WIFE'S dishwasher?
You have an awesome parts washer right in your kitchen. Just a smaller version of a real one at a machine shop. Put some high pH Purple Power degreaser in there on HD pot scrubber mode and be amazed when it comes out.

Take your filthy, oily headed bed pillows. Place on the lower rack vertically and longways. Suckers will come out like brand new. All the yellow oil stains and stench will be gone. Couch pillows, shoot anything you can put in there will be renewed. For oily skinned sweaty guys like me, double pillow case your bed pillows AFTER cleaning in the dishwasher. If you have goose down pillows, somehow, can't explain it, they come out all fluffed up and super clean. You guys know how the wife fluffs up the pillows making the bed? (y)

slomo