Starting Up Commercially

A_tank96

Threads
Hello all,

I am expanding my business. I do 7 yards, but I have really been more of a neighborhood kid than an actual landscaper. I have an opportunity to bid on a job that is in the same neighborhood as all my other customers, but I figure I need to step it up. What do I need to do in terms of Licensing, Taxes, Naming the Business, Starting, Insurance, Fees, etc. Can you give me some examples?

Thanks,
A_tank96

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello all,

I am expanding my business. I do 7 yards, but I have really been more of a neighborhood kid than an actual landscaper. I have an opportunity to bid on a job that is in the same neighborhood as all my other customers, but I figure I need to step it up. What do I need to do in terms of Licensing, Taxes, Naming the Business, Starting, Insurance, Fees, etc. Can you give me some examples?

Thanks,
A_tank96

What you are asking is really going to be hard to answer because the laws governing licensing are so different in different locations. Some places require a license, a couple of different forms of Insurance and so on. Here where I am the only requirement you have to have is a license or Tax ID. You fill out an application with a fictitious name / DBA or (Doing Business As) for your business name and your on your way. My license cost me $33.65 a year. Your requirements may be totally different. The best thing I could tell you to do is contact your county office and talk to someone about a small business License and see what you are required to have. Ohio Small Business Development Centers (SBDC)

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Down here all you have to do is buy a city license for each city you cut in if all you do is cut grass. You have to take tests and so forth if you get a license to do landscaping where you plant bushes and the like.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Down here all you have to do is buy a city license for each city you cut in if all you do is cut grass. You have to take tests and so forth if you get a license to do landscaping where you plant bushes and the like.

Here you need a state licence, a licence for each city I have 3 citys, if you work by your self you are not required to have insurance however customers generally don't hire people without it. I have my insurance and bonding here total cost with all my licences is about 750 a year with insurance. Taxes here are state and city and federal at end of year totaling about 20 percent of gross for taxes

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here you just need state. I have mine but who would know if you don't have one?

(( racing is the only sport that you need two balls ))

fatboy

Threads
Google starting a small business in Ohio you may even want to check with your county. Here in VA we register the company name in the county the business is based. Insurance call your agent and ask if they provide liability insurance if not they can tell you who does. You can also Google liability insurance in your town as well. Not sure what we did prior to Google LOL. You may wish to register your company as an LLC or sole proprietorship to shiled your assets from lawsuits. Legalzoom did the paperwork for my LLC. Good Luck

JSB33

Threads
You will have to register with the state in Columbus and get a tax ID number. Speak with your insurance agent and make sure you get enough of the right type of coverage. He can also help you with the bonds/insurance that some cities will require.
You will also have to speak with a tax person and set up a tax schedule as you don't want any surprises next April.
It might be worth it to speak with a reasonably priced lawyer. Mine handled all the dealing with the state and set up a LLC for me. It cost me a couple hundred bucks but was well worth it.

I don't know if there are any special steps for a Lawn Care business, I am a contractor but your lawyer should know.