Starting A little mowing buisness

spyderMR1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was wondering if you guys could give me some tips and advice about starting a sucsessful one for a HS student thanks guys!:laughing:

Threads
Marketing is everything. Flyers, signs, if you dont market you won't get the customers or the money. Dont go overboard on equipment until you have many customers.

contheon

Threads
Along with marketing, don't forget to develop and promote your advantage. Here's one you can use ... focus on quality and individualized customer service.

The big lawn care companies have alot of expenses. Time is money to them. The focus is on being fast. Perhaps too much focus. With smaller walk behind mowers you can provide quality cuts that don't tear apart your customers lawns. You will also be more enviromentally friendly. Quality ... service ... eco friendly sounds like a winner to me.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I was wondering if you guys could give me some tips and advice about starting a sucsessful one for a HS student thanks guys!:laughing:

The first thing I'd do is get my license. Start small with some type of riding mower, Trimmer, Edger and Blower and work my way up from there, add better equipment through time or as you build your business and reputation and can pay for it, don't finance your equipment, if you do you'll not see any real profit for a number of years. As far as advertisements go you mite get some Free business cards (250) from (Vista Print) printed up and put them on doors of the adjacent property's where you mow but I wouldn't bother with Flyers and signs because there not a cost effective way of advertising. If you want free advertisement try Craigslist. Remember word of mouth is your best advertisement, do a good job, keep you clients list and routes close so you can cut your gas expenses and spend more time cutting and be sure not to under bid jobs.

Last edited:
Threads
Market with flyers and door hangers and drive them to your website to get an instant online quote. Check out acculawnsystems.com

slammed

Threads
They are all right start with flyers and cards get a few people. Then grow by word of mouth. It will always work.

Rednekdaddy

Threads
Before you cut anyone else property get yourself some liability insurance! If you don't it could end your business before you even get started! The reason i say this, i had a friend start cutting grass on the side. He thru out a rock out with his rider mower! The rock went right through the side of a big above ground pool!! He ended up having to sell his equipment to pay for the damage!! So please protect yourself!