Starting a lawn care business

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I will not pull up to a yard for less than $50 but I do not do lawn care I do landscaping.
The home owner should never have to ask you to trim a bush they should never need trimming. Or to apply weed control should never be any weeds.
A lawn care guy cuts the grass and moves on a landscaper takes care of the whole yard.
Keep the pine straw or mulch always looking new things like that.

image-2265376589.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
So for one man to make $600 a week is not good?
Like I said he can get the whole neighborhood but is happy with what he has.
If I paid 500 k for a house I would not want a big mower on my yard.
How many ppl do you know that work 2 days a week or all week and bring home $600 ?

Well you've quoted me two different figures here, now which is it are we making $600 a week or are we bringing home $600 a week because there's a big difference between gross income and net income. Another question, is this person paying taxes, social security etc.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
It's just him so yes he brings home no less than $600 a week does he pay tax I do not know or do I care.
I do know he spends no more than $50 a week to cut his yards

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I will not pull up to a yard for less than $50 but I do not do lawn care I do landscaping.
The home owner should never have to ask you to trim a bush they should never need trimming. Or to apply weed control should never be any weeds.
A lawn care guy cuts the grass and moves on a landscaper takes care of the whole yard.
Keep the pine straw or mulch always looking new things like that.

View attachment 8230

What you're doing is called Full Service Lawn-care not landscaping, If you're doing Landscaping you are at a clients place to improve the appearance of ( an area of land, a highway etc.) as by planting trees, shrubs, grass, or altering the contours of the property or ground that's what a landscaper does.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
I usually charge between $15 for under 2000 sqft and up to $50 for my bigger ones i do the weedeating,edging mowing and blow clean all hard surfaces. All bed edging pick up trash and maintain turf. I do other maintence but those are work orders and pay my job

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I usually charge between $15 for under 2000 sq ft and up to $50 for my bigger ones i do the weed eating,edging mowing and blow clean all hard surfaces. All bed edging pick up trash and maintain turf. I do other maintenance but those are work orders and pay my job

I charge about the same $15 to $17.50 for under 2000 sq. ft. and do the same things as you do, Trimming hedges, bed work, and trimming palms are all extra. Anything larger lots price goes to $30 and up depending on the conditions of the property.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
No Ric what I do is landscaping.
A person that does lawn care are the ones that mow blow and go.
I get calls all the time from lawn care guys needing flower beds or pine straw or irrigation repair. Like I said any one can cut grass but to do it the right way is a art.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
that limits your clientell to those who can afford 50 bucks a pop.
my business is called affordable option lawncare. I have high standards of my work but i realize that there is a large range of customers to the lower class lazy homeowner/rental to the middle class dont want to buy a lawn mower. to the upper class why should i do it my self. mowing brings in the guarenteed recurring income, while the completely seperate work orders bring in the real money

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
No Ric what I do is landscaping.
A person that does lawn care are the ones that mow blow and go.
I get calls all the time from lawn care guys needing flower beds or pine straw or irrigation repair. Like I said any one can cut grass but to do it the right way is a art.

The people that do so called lawn care that mow blow and go are not Lawn-care people they are what is considered in the lawn industry as a mow and go or as many lawn-care professionals call them Hacks or Low-ballers. If your getting calls from company's needing flowerbeds or irrigation work done then they would fall into the same category. Most full service lawn-care people do everything you've described or do, flowerbeds, irrigation work etc. at an additional charge it's part of the business.

The definition of landscaping is as follows:
To adorn or improve (a section of ground) by contouring and by planting flowers, shrubs, or trees etc..
To arrange grounds artistically as a profession. ( Landscaper )

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
that limits your clientele to those who can afford 50 bucks a pop.
my business is called affordable option lawn-care. I have high standards of my work but i realize that there is a large range of customers to the lower class lazy homeowner/rental to the middle class don't want to buy a lawn mower. to the upper class why should i do it my self. mowing brings in the guaranteed recurring income, while the completely separate work orders bring in the real money

exotion sounds like you have a handle on your business and are doing things the right way :thumbsup: