Stand on mowers

Striper

Threads
I currently have an exmark Viking 48" hydrostatic walk behind with 11 lawns. About 4 or 5 of my lawns are on pretty steep slopes that are too steep in my opinion for a zt. But, lately I have been wondering if it would be easier for myself if I got a stand on mower. I have heard nothing but good reviews for them but I am just worried that it will not be able to get up steep hills.
Also, if I do choose to get a stand on mower, what kind do you guys recommend? I want to get a 48" but I want to make sure I get a mower that has a nice cut.
Any suggestions or information is greatly appreciated. Thanks

LoCo86

Threads
I currently have an exmark Viking 48" hydrostatic walk behind with 11 lawns. About 4 or 5 of my lawns are on pretty steep slopes that are too steep in my opinion for a zt. But, lately I have been wondering if it would be easier for myself if I got a stand on mower. I have heard nothing but good reviews for them but I am just worried that it will not be able to get up steep hills. Also, if I do choose to get a stand on mower, what kind do you guys recommend? I want to get a 48" but I want to make sure I get a mower that has a nice cut. Any suggestions or information is greatly appreciated. Thanks

It will not stick steep hills. You're better off to just keep your Viking at this point anyway. A stand on will hold a hill better than a ZTR but no where near as good as a walk behind.

Striper

Threads
Do the standons have trouble getting up the hill or do they start slipping while cutting etc?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I currently have an exmark Viking 48" hydrostatic walk behind with 11 lawns. About 4 or 5 of my lawns are on pretty steep slopes that are too steep in my opinion for a zt. But, lately I have been wondering if it would be easier for myself if I got a stand on mower. I have heard nothing but good reviews for them but I am just worried that it will not be able to get up steep hills.
Also, if I do choose to get a stand on mower, what kind do you guys recommend? I want to get a 48" but I want to make sure I get a mower that has a nice cut.
Any suggestions or information is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Depending on what stand on or stander your talking about you can have the best of both worlds, a Stander and a walk behind. The Toro Grandstand and the Exmark can be both unlike some of the other makes and they also have a lower center of gravity when mowing than some or most of the others. I run the 36" Grandstand and there is no worry about climbing or holding hills, there both rated for up to 20 degree slopes unlike the ZTR at 15 degrees.

Striper

Threads
I am 15 and I have started my own business throughout my neighborhood. I am not going to keep my walk behind if I choose to purchase a stand on. I am probably going to buy an exmark because I like their mowers but I am just looking for some info on them if the standons do okay on slopes or if they are going to have trouble on them. Most of the hills that I cut are usually around a 45 degree angle. Is a stand on going to have a lot of trouble with slipping or should it be alright?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am 15 and I have started my own business throughout my neighborhood. I am not going to keep my walk behind if I choose to purchase a stand on. I am probably going to buy an exmark because I like their mowers but I am just looking for some info on them if the standons do okay on slopes or if they are going to have trouble on them. Most of the hills that I cut are usually around a 45 degree angle. Is a stand on going to have a lot of trouble with slipping or should it be alright?

45 degrees is pretty steep, I sure wouldn't being mowing up and down hill with any mower, across the slope maybe. I do a lot of retention ponds with the 36" stander And I can tell you I can mow and go places and do things with it that you'll never mow or do with a ZTR. The stander is probably the most maneuverable mowers on the market.

Vantage S-Series - Stand On Mowers | Exmark

[url]http://www.toro.com/en-us/Professional-Contractor/Mowers/Stand-On-Mowers/Pages/Model.aspx?pid=74549-79549-California-model

[/URL]

LoCo86

Threads

I personally own a stand on mower ( Toro Grandstand 52") and you will not be able to hold a steep hill. You are best to keep a walk behind to do those jobs with. I mow some pretty steep places with hills that lead down to the lake and some I can use the stand on mower with but it is faster to use the Turf Tracer just cause it can hold the hill much better with out worry of it sliding no matter what angle I mow at.

Striper

Threads
Ok. Like I said most of the hills I mow are pretty steep. With my walk behind I never go up and down I always go side ways. I just want to see if on the steep hills if I go side ways will I slip or slide a little down the hill or will it be able to handle the hill pretty well?

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I personally own a stand on mower ( Toro Grandstand 52") and you will not be able to hold a steep hill. You are best to keep a walk behind to do those jobs with. I mow some pretty steep places with hills that lead down to the lake and some I can use the stand on mower with but it is faster to use the Turf Tracer just cause it can hold the hill much better with out worry of it sliding no matter what angle I mow at.

I find that kinda strange because my 36" Grandstand will handle about any of the retention ponds that I've run into including the one I have on my own property and they can get pretty steep. My only fear is getting to close to the water where the ground is soft and getting the thing stuck in the mud. I've never had an issue with it sliding.

Striper

Threads
I find that kinda strange because my 36" Grandstand will handle about any of the retention ponds that I've run into including the one I have on my own property and they can get pretty steep. My only fear is getting to close to the water where the ground is soft and getting the thing stuck in the mud. I've never had an issue with it sliding.
so the standon mowers aren't that much worse then walk behinds on hills?