Split pole trimmers and other attachments.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Many stores offer trimmers that now have many different attachments that work with the same power-head. Does anybody know who makes these trimmers? There are about 10 different brand names. I just wonder if all of them are made by Poulan. I have used a Cub Cadet one this summer and had no problems with it. I used it with the string trimmer head, also the hedge trimmers and the edger, and the Pole-saw.

Does anybody else use one of these?

A

AmericanTurf

wish i had a nice pole trimmer. never used any yet. I havent had much tree jobs yet. I will be buying one this coming summer I think. I would want to buy a stihl one though. stihl!!!!! haha.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have the 29CC Cub Cadet power-head. I ran two tanks of gas through it yesterday with the hedge trimmer attachment cutting back some shrubbery that was way overgrown. I used it last week limbing an oak tree with the pole-saw attachment. I ran it a bunch this summer with a string trimmer attachment on it. I have also used it with a brush blade on it. I know this machine is not as expensive as the Stihl but I have not had to put a wrench on it and it has never failed to start.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Echo makes these. It is called the Pro-Attachment Series. There are different power sources (some with more power than others). There are around 15 attachments. See them here: Outdoor Power Equipment Attachments, Trimmer or Edger Attachment | ECHO
USA
Here is a picture with just a fraction of the attachments that are offered.
View attachment 10786

The Echo dealer here told me that theirs have a different driveshaft in them than the others therefore they will not work with different brands.

Poulan Pro, Troy bilt, Cub Cadet, Roybi, and several others however have attachments that interchange with each other. I understand. Also I am courious if Poulan makes all of these other brands now.

Kodie's Lawn Service

Threads
I would go with sthil or Echo:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::laughing::laughing::laughing::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes, I would also choose one of those. FYI Stihl calls them the KombiSystem, in case you want to look them up. Yard Care - STIHL KombiSystem and the STIHL YARD BOSSョ Multi Task Tools | STIHL USA
View attachment 10852

I never could see the advantages to having the Kombi System. The power head alone is like $350 and if you buy all the attachments you need you end up dumping another $700 for those so you total in at $1000 average. For that money I can buy three different pieces of Stihl equipment and not have to worry about how much time I'm wasting taking things apart and putting thing together and hoping that the power head doesn't go bad and I end up losing everything and not being able to preform a job for a customer. Just doesn't make sense to me but to each his own.

Threads
I never could see the advantages to having the Kombi System. The power head alone is like $350 and if you buy all the attachments you need you end up dumping another $700 for those so you total in at $1000 average. For that money I can buy three different pieces of Stihl equipment and not have to worry about how much time I'm wasting taking things apart and putting thing together and hoping that the power head doesn't go bad and I end up losing everything and not being able to preform a job for a customer. Just doesn't make sense to me but to each his own.

You can get some of the powerheads by Echo for a little cheaper, but I know what you mean. I think it does save some money in the long run, but I know what you mean when you say you would have to worry about the powerhead going bad, because then you can't use any of your equipment. I think it is also convenience--you don't have to carry around 4 full pieces of equipment when you can carry one powerhead and four little attachments. Right now I am just going to stick with the seperate pieces of equipment....I might think about the Echo PAS system later.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
You can get some of the powerheads by Echo for a little cheaper, but I know what you mean. I think it does save some money in the long run, but I know what you mean when you say you would have to worry about the powerhead going bad, because then you can't use any of your equipment. I think it is also convenience--you don't have to carry around 4 full pieces of equipment when you can carry one powerhead and four little attachments. Right now I am just going to stick with the seperate pieces of equipment....I might think about the Echo PAS system later.

The power head price was an average for the Stihl. I think they have three different units starting $309 to $369 the 90R, 110R& the 130R which is there 36.3cc The Echo units start at $179 and go as high as $359 for there 28cc unit.
As far as convenience goes I think it would be far easier to carry full units than pieces at least I have Trimmer racks for them. What would you do or where would you put four half pieces of equipment and a power head on a trailer?