Spinnin'

Rip

Threads
My Cub LT2180 is a nice little tractor for my purposes. But I have a problem with it spinning when it gets in a bind. I live in hill country and my yard is far from being the pool table flat yards as seen on TV. When I get my mower on an incline or even worse trying to make a turn on a slight incline, the tires will start spinning and it tears up my grass and I have to either back up or rock it out of that position to continue.

I'd like to put a set of rear tires with a more aggressive tread on this tractor. I'm pretty sure the tires on there now are OEM.

Can someone recommend a good tire, please?

Thanks, Rip

bmcox

Forum Newbie
Threads
I do not have any tire suggestions. However, I have a very hilly yard and mow about 3 acres. I pull a Trac-Vac which is quite heavy once it starts to fill up. After spinning constantly, I put my winter tire chains on and have left them on now for the past three years - summer & winter. No more spinning and the chains do not tear up the grass.

JayC

Threads
I do not have any tire suggestions. However, I have a very hilly yard and mow about 3 acres. I pull a Trac-Vac which is quite heavy once it starts to fill up. After spinning constantly, I put my winter tire chains on and have left them on now for the past three years - summer & winter. No more spinning and the chains do not tear up the grass.

+1. Put on chains. Good for the lawn too.

JayC

Rip

Threads
Check out http://www.gemplers.com for tires (and other stuff)

What is your tire size ?

My rear tires are 20x9-8. Thanks for the link.

Chains on mower tires are something that's never crossed my mind being a son of the sunny South. I'm sure I can order them but I don't think I've ever seen a set. I can see how they'd be good for the yard, I guess they would aerate while you mowed.

I'm learning all kinds of good stuff here.

Thanks,

Rip

Zeroturn

Threads
I would think the chains would also tear up the yard, but only if the ground was wet. You should not be mowing then any way. I would try the chains or even weights on the rear tires to see if the added weight will help your mower to stop spinning.

indypower

Threads
Try your local dealer and see what he has available for a more aggressive tread pattern.

dusty-t

Threads
My 2 cents, Load the back tires( I use windshield washer fluid ) then put chains on. They need to be good chains and they need to be tight. If you don't spin you won't hurt your lawn.:biggrin: Dusty

BKBrown

Lawn Addict
Threads
My rear tires are 20x9-8. Thanks for the link.

Chains on mower tires are something that's never crossed my mind being a son of the sunny South. I'm sure I can order them but I don't think I've ever seen a set. I can see how they'd be good for the yard, I guess they would aerate while you mowed.

I'm learning all kinds of good stuff here.

Thanks,

Rip

Closest I see is 20x10-8 in a few tread patterns -- would be an inch wider -- I had a set for a Deere 318 that were a lug design, but like these at101.jpg -- they didn't tear up the lawn and worked great for snow and mud. I called Gemplers and they set me up with my size even when not listed in the catalog or on the web site --- GOOD LUCK !

Fixitlane

Forum Newbie
Threads
I filled mine with a 50/50 mix of water and anti-freeze. Worked great for stopping the spinning.