spindle help

rand

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks to the pros for any help you can give me. I have a 1997 Lazer with a 52 inch deck and one of the spindles is really sloppy so I wanted to replace it. I see it bolts from the bottom and the first bolt I tried to remove twisted off. Are these reverse threads by chance? If I wind up twisting all the heads off will that spindle lift right off the deck? Thanks, I need to do it myself and save the money. Any opinions of the spindles on ebay for $60?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Mower deck mandrel or spindle. Seeing the bolts broke off and the spindles are loose in the housing. I would say your best bet would be to buy new mandrel assembly's. If you want to save the housings and just install new bearings just drill out the broken bolts. You should be able to install the mandrels with cap screws and nuts.

Threads
Mower deck mandrel or spindle. Seeing the bolts broke off and the spindles are loose in the housing. I would say your best bet would be to buy new mandrel assembly's. If you want to save the housings and just install new bearings just drill out the broken bolts. You should be able to install the mandrels with cap screws and nuts.

Yep thats what I have done a few times just order some new bearings as long as the housings are still ok.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would replace the whole housing. Most times but not all the time if the shaft has play in it ( wobble ) the groove the bearing sits on could have got wore down some.
By replacing the whole unit you won't have to worry about it for awhile.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
When I break bolts off I use a reverse ( counterclockwise ) drill bit and a easy out.