Spark is present, still not starting - Craftsman 5HP Tiller

blaubner

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Spark is present, still not starting - Craftsman 5HP Tiller
Howdy,

Bought a used Craftsman front tine tiller with a 5HP Briggs & Stratton last spring. When I bought the machine it took a lot of pulls to start, but it would eventually start. I used it a handful of times, ran the motor until the gas ran out, then put it in my shed for the winter.

I tried to start the engine this weekend, but I broke the pull cord after 5/6 pulls. When I opened the mechanism to re-install the cord, I noticed that the recoil spring was broken at the end. Instead of getting a new spring, I used some pliers to crimp the existing broken end of the spring, reinstalled the cord, and everything on seems to be pulling just fine now.

However, the engine will not start. When I remove the spark plug from the motor and pull the cord I see no spark. I replaced the existing spark plug with a new one. Same result; no spark. I removed the lead from the spark plug, then tested the coil with my multimeter. The coil is showing resistance when I test the from the lead wire and the cutoff switch (2.68 ohms when the multimeter was set to 20k). Seems like the coil is working properly.

- Is it possible that I'm not getting enough RPMs from the flywheel because of my recoil spring mod? It seems to be spinning just fine right now

- I replaced the existing spark plug with the same exact one. However, the old spark plug has a much larger gap than the new spark plug. I read online that the gap should be 0.030 inches. The new one looks more like 0.030 than the old one.

I'm new to small engines but enjoy the work. What should I test next? Happy to post any photos that would help.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You can not test the Magnetron coils. Either they work or not.

dougand3

Threads
With plug out, you can get enough RPMs to see spark even with half a recoil spring. Are you grounding the plug on cyl fins? If not, try again.
Post the engine model #. Will be near the plug or muffler. Eg: 09J902-0133-F1. The first 6 characters are what really matters.
Search engine # - you'll see parts houses list an IPL. Find ignition module #. Search that #.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
How old is that machine? Possible points ignition on a machine pre 80s or so.

blaubner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Model: 135202
Code: 9406292D
Type: 011901

Not sure how old the machine is. The model, code and type were on the flywheel guard. Confirmed that the spark plug I'm using is the correct replacement (champion J19LM), and assuming the plug came with the correct gap out of the box (0.030 inches).

With the plug removed, I was not grounding the plug to the cylinder fins as doug mentioned. I tested with the plug grounded and now see a spark.

I suppose that rules out an electrical problem?

So now I have a spark but the engine still does not start. I've already familiarized myself with how to remove the carburetor. When I looked at the carburetor while removed it looked pretty clean inside, but I also don't know what to look for there.

Where should I test next?

dougand3

Threads
Put a squirt of fuel in plug hole. A full straw will work. Re-install plug & wire. Pull rope and see if she pops and runs 2 secs. If so, it's a fuel delivery problem.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Since you are posting on at least two different forums I going to step out of this thread as to not cause confusion. By posting on different forums you can get conflicting info.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remove the filter and put a 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of gas in the carburetor intake. And for gawd sake quit pulling the rope to the end. That's what screwed that up.

blaubner

Forum Newbie
Threads
Put a squirt of fuel in at the spark plug, turned it over and the engine fired for a few seconds.

Fuel delivery problem.

What's the next test?

Thanks to everyone. Very helpful.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Took a look at your engine and you have a pulsa-jet carb. I’m betting your fuel pump diaphragm is old and dried out. Time to replace. Take the numbers you posted to a good repair shop and tell them you need a new diaphragm. This manual may be of some help understanding what I’m talking about. Read over section on carbs. https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B6NaqjIxWV1ycG8wd0s3Z2Q2X00