Spam loaded.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Now this is getting ridiculous. I wake up to over 200 spams. I can't find the actual new requests for help. This basically becoming a DOS (denial of service) attack. The Admin must get off his, her, or its butt and with the software provider find a solution.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Now this is getting ridiculous. I wake up to over 200 spams. I can't find the actual new requests for help. This basically becoming a DOS (denial of service) attack. The Admin must get off his, her, or its butt and with the software provider find a solution.
I totally agree. I’ve never seen anything like it on any other forum.
I’m beginning to think that this site’s servers has been infected with some sort of malware.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you. I for one appreciate the work you and others are doing to eradicate this problem. The habitual complainers about spam are just like the guys who come to this forum wanting an immediate fix and get mad at you because you can’t always provide one. Sometimes if wish there was a dislike button beside the like button. Keep up the good work, I know you or others will find a remedy.

Muhammad

Administrator
Staff member
Threads
I just updated our spam filtering process again. Please keep in mind that we already have six systems in place on the back end to prevent spam... and spammers are constantly developing workarounds.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Logged in this morning to NO SPAM. Thank you everyone who worked to resolve this problem. Hope your work will be a long term solution. Although you have many members who you can’t help fast enough, those of us who’ve been around for more than 5 years really appreciate your efforts. THANK YOU AGAIN.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
they will be back.The other forums I am around limit the number of synchronous posts a new member can make in a period of time. They also block IP ranges as needed. If is unlikely we will get a request for help on a mower in Moscow, N Korea, or China. Even spoofed IP leave a trail. To me, it looks like a DDOS attack from either a competitor, or someone pissed off at the forum. I get nervous now when I see these simple 1 post members who ask simple questions and then after six or seven posts disappear after accomplishing nothing but chatter. First thing comes to my mind is am I answering a spammer who is laughing his ass off at me.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That works for commercial spammers and spam bots
It does not stop & never will stop the dirt poor people in 4th world countries who get paid almost nothing to find forums, join them & post spam.
Even IP blocking does not work as VPN's can generate fake IP's ( or rather spoof real IP's ) so all it does is prevents people who use that IP from joining.
on one of the forums I assist with we require information that can be validated before a person can post.
On a forum like this it would be a simple as requiring a make & model number of whatever tool the person is posting about
For techs then a goverrnment number of some sort that is on the public record .
Others , in particular the Rolls Royce forum which is run on an anchient server sends your first few posts via a moderator before it gets posted to the forum .
The Aust RR forum has more members than RR made cars let alone the number known to be in OZ.