Southern clay soil. ugh.

AChrome

Threads
thanks for all the suggestions!
i'll start in the early spring with a soil test (if they have a place around here)
Tennessee has a University of Tennessee extension service for agriculture in nearly every county. Maybe Kentucky has the same. I'm sure any college that has an ag program could do soil tests. Check your Co-op stores.

Threads
thanks for all the suggestions!
i'll start in the early spring with a soil test (if they have a place around here)

I've met a lot of people that live in Kentucky over the years - without exception, all nice, friendly people. I hope you enjoy and appreciate living there. Clay soil does suck, but it can be handled with a little effort and persistence. If there isn't a soil testing facility around where you live, there's always a mail-in option such as the one offered here: https://www.simplysoiltesting.com/SampleSubmission.html (I haven't tried it, just did a quick search - there are many options.

Good luck & Cool Winds, Green Hills

mark abby

Threads
I've met a lot of people that live in Kentucky over the years - without exception, all nice, friendly people. I hope you enjoy and appreciate living there. Clay soil does suck, but it can be handled with a little effort and persistence. If there isn't a soil testing facility around where you live, there's always a mail-in option such as the one offered here: https://www.simplysoiltesting.com/SampleSubmission.html (I haven't tried it, just did a quick search - there are many options.

Good luck & Cool Winds, Green Hills
ha....moving down here from NYS was like getting out of prison and being FREE!! yea, we love it here and i agree, the people are friendly, unlike NYS. Also, in the last 4 years, we just got the most snow ever here...4" lol. Back in NYS that would be nothing.

Anyway, i've saved all the ideas posted here and will be trying many of them out...as soon as this snow melts! Gees, i thought we got away from all that.

Threads
I begin with a soil structure sample to determine what is really there to work with , then you can begin spending money on chemical analysis

View attachment 67636

Hey SeniorCitizen - A few follow-on questions:

- Do you just take a shovel and take one sample or multiple samples all over the yard (I have 3 acres)?
- How did you take the sample to put in the jar - just shovel down 3-6 inches or so or more shallow but wider area?
- Once in the jar with the water, shake it up & let it settle out? Those of us blessed with dense red clay might not see as many layers, but it's an interesting exercise.

Thanks!

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
It all can be taken from 1 location by going down 3-6 inches and mixed . Being qt. jars are inexpensive samples can be in separate jars from multiple locations and the area taken from labeled . Be certain there isn't any organic matter in the sample such as roots , stems etc ..

Last edited:

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would encourage anyone thinking they have a soil problem to take a sample from a few areas of the yard and allow their county extension to advise . After the soil structure is determined then follow their guidelines to determine which vitamins the soil may need .
1706200697067.jpeg

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't see any jugs with Topsoil in them ?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Top soil and sub soil are all combination of materials. From place to place it will different. It is that top soil will contain less rocks and more converted organics. Let's face it top soil contains a lot of poop.

One the biggest with very good top soil is the pH balance. Nearly all us have acid rain of sorts. This lowers the soil pH to a point where plants can't absorb need nutrients to grow. When I first to a farm in the area I planted a garden. Well it did terrible. My field corn grew to whooping 12 inch before it started tasseling. Everything just stood there. I did a pH test and it was at 3.5 ph. After applying 4 ton of lime per acre the next year I had 7 foot corn stalks. Even at 4 tons I only managed a 6.5 pH. It took smaller application over the years to bring to a 7 pH. Darn cotton farmer killed the land.

Sub soils are usually unproductive soils as they contain a lot less life supporting ingredients. And a heck a lot more rocks.

Here if you get below a few feet you to soil mix that will not retain water or grow anything. Say dig a pond. It has to lined with clay or it won't retain water.