sounds like a chopper (with video)

richey88

Threads
I have a Murray 405000x8E (2004 yr model) the engine in question is a Briggs & Stratton 13.5 hp OHV Single Cylinder Model 21B807

What I have done so far: Air filter, fuel Filter, Oil, Spark plug, fresh gas, Cleaned carb, set the valve clearance .004 in .006 ex.

I was having trouble starting my mower, so I did a google search and concluded that my valve clearance was off. When I would attempt to start the engine the crank would make one full rotation, and when it got back to TDC it would hang up(not releasing the compression). So I reset the valves and my mower started fine ran smooth, so I put it up. The next day went to start it, it started surging while running and died. When I started it back up was when it was running like a chopper and was hard to start. It'll run, but when I start it I have to choke it and finess the choke until it warms up. Then I can run it on rabbit. If I try to idle it down it immediately dies. I changed the spark plug old one was fouled (probably had less than 10hours on it) picture of the new one on here. The firing end looks dark and fouled, the electrode is black except for the end, which looks like something was hitting it. Also it idle real high it was shooting flame out the exhaust but has since quit.

VIDEO---> VIDEO0013_zps8c58c7f8.mp4 Video by gmctrucks | Photobucket

Attachments

• 49dffd58-da83-434b-8e86-730cf769a931_zps01e6c9a5.jpg
    49dffd58-da83-434b-8e86-730cf769a931_zps01e6c9a5.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 7

richey88

Threads
I thought of something I forgot to add. Once I got my engine running right again (after adjusting the valves) I changed the oil and put a fuel shutoff valve on. When I started it up after that was when it started surging and died then I started it up and it was running rough. Don't know if that would have anything to do it.