Something wrong with St Augustine Grass- drying out

Alex-Greengrass

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Something wrong with St Augustine Grass- drying out
Have quite healthy grass all over my lot, but some problems in the front yard. It started about 7 months, but I didn't make a big deal about it. Several days ago I came from my 4 month trip and saw that:
DSC_1721.jpg
DSC_1724.jpg

the other spot
DSC_1726.jpg
DSC_1728.jpg

There was a watering problem, I watered it every day ( total 0.8-1" a week ) - fixed that, now it's 2 days a week total 1" a week, later will cut it to 1 day, it's too sunny write now in Houston. But anyway, the rest lawn is in great condition, the grass in the back yard is super green and it's also in full sun.

What is this, some king of weeds?
DSC_1722.jpg
DSC_1723.jpg
DSC_1725.jpg
In some places there is almost none St Augustine grass left.

Please help

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't know if they are in the U.S.A , but it might be a worm that eats the roots of your grass. In french they are called vers (worm) blancs(white). So, to check, dig out some grass and check for those pesky worms. Also, can you easily pull off the yellow grass or is it still well rooted?

possum

Threads
The weeds stuff looks to be Spurge. The spiky grass looks to be Common Bermuda. Is your neighbors having trouble with fungus on their grass? We are having it here. Even now that it is hot it is about everywhere. Even the bushes have it on their leaves. The red rusty kind does not hurt much. But the brown stuff kills the grass here.

TaskForceLawnCare

Threads
Lawn boy and possum are exactly right. Not to bust your bubble but your best bet is to have a local professional diagnose it and get a treat program. You need to attack the grub issue immediately or you won't have any grass left. He/she can treat for your common weeds and fertilize at the same time. Like anything else that your turf grass requires special maintenance to stay looking good. Watering is just one step and i think you've got that down.