Something ive notices about 2 cycles

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Take your pick on the brands & models, I've seen this on several. Oily mufflers, to the point they're almost dripping.
Yesterday I had an echo trimmer that was doing the same thing as a Stihl and a Poulan I seen last week that was doing it.
InsI'd the muffler is coated, but not clogged with oil.
It's fairly easy to clean up because it seems to be pretty fresh oil.

I'm thinking the customer is running the wrong ratio in their fuel mix.
What's else could it be?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Probably running wrong fuel oil. Users have a bad of trying to use the cheapest oil and not measuring it correctly. One oil I have seen used here is Quicksliver Marine 2 cycle oil that got to measured as it is a bulk oil.

Stihl machines do tend to run rich and carbon foul the spark arresters but not oily otherwise. Never had a Echo or Poulan oily when they are using the correct oil and are properly tuned. Poulans are usually tuned for best speed and the high side enrich a little to bring the max rpms by 100 rpms. Echo has a tuning guide for their equipment and Stihl gives the tuning info in their service manuals.

So if you still have the Echo in the shop dump the users fuel mix, install the correct mix, install a new spark plug , and give me the model number. I can then look it up then I can post a snip shot of the adjustments out the tuning guide.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
When the Poulans started using the synthetic 2 stroke mix they were really bad at slobbering oil out the ,muffler and coating the entire muffler, and engine housing and would have oil drip where it was stored at.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Modern 2 stroke oil does not burn alke the old stuff used to burn so it passes through the engine and condenses in the muffler.
And yes people do run them too heavy
However just so long as they are not coking up the cylinder & blocking off the exhaust port there is no real problem.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
When the Poulans started using the synthetic 2 stroke mix they were really bad at slobbering oil out the ,muffler and coating the entire muffler, and engine housing and would have oil drip where it was stored at.
Strange I have been working Poulans (Husqvarna) 2 cycles for the last ten years and never had a problem but I sell my customers a Promix Multi-mix oil and uses it my myself. Primary I use the 1 gal packages for mixing the oil. Currently the synthetic mix is 2.6 oz to a gallon which is 50:1 but even when they running with 3.2 oz to a gallon (40:1) of this synthetic it wasn't a problem.

cruzenmike

Threads
Both my 50:1 and 40:1 2-cycles do not exhibit this problem. I mix ethanol free gas with whatever 2-cycle oil I can get at Home Depot in the correct amount and 10 years with no problems.

What about trying one of those synthetic 2-cycle oils that can run at 80:1 or even 100:1 that work in all types of equipment?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Strange I have been working Poulans (Husqvarna) 2 cycles for the last ten years and never had a problem but I sell my customers a Promix Multi-mix oil and uses it my myself. Primary I use the 1 gal packages for mixing the oil. Currently the synthetic mix is 2.6 oz to a gallon which is 50:1 but even when they running with 3.2 oz to a gallon (40:1) of this synthetic it wasn't a problem.
I had issues with customers returning the units to Walmart and Rural King because of the oil was getting all over everything. Customers would wrap them is bags just to take them back to the store, and you could dump the oil out of the bag when I picked them up for service. the synthetic oils are almost non-flammable. If you find some synthetic bar oil you can't even light it with a propane torch. Just push it across a flat surface. Had customers that like to use bar oil to light brush fires, and the synthetic will put out the fire.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Probably running wrong fuel oil. Users have a bad of trying to use the cheapest oil and not measuring it correctly. One oil I have seen used here is Quicksliver Marine 2 cycle oil that got to measured as it is a bulk oil.

Stihl machines do tend to run rich and carbon foul the spark arresters but not oily otherwise. Never had a Echo or Poulan oily when they are using the correct oil and are properly tuned. Poulans are usually tuned for best speed and the high side enrich a little to bring the max rpms by 100 rpms. Echo has a tuning guide for their equipment and Stihl gives the tuning info in their service manuals.

So if you still have the Echo in the shop dump the users fuel mix, install the correct mix, install a new spark plug , and give me the model number. I can then look it up then I can post a snip shot of the adjustments out the tuning guide.

SRM225 is the current one. Since the carb has no L adjustment, It won't stay running at idle. Customer says he's always having to keep it throttled up. If/when it dies, it's hard to start back up.
Inside the carb, looks like it's been rebuild like within the last month. Gaskets just fell off when I removed the covers.
None the less, I checked the spark arrestor and muffler. Both were oily, but not clogged. I checked the needle lever, and it was spot on.
Gonna try to see if any of the seals are leaking today before I install a new carb.

What brand of 2 cycle do you guys use? I'd like to find one that works with both 40:1 and 50:1. Walmart sells it. But I'm skeptical as to buying any type of oil from Walmart. Opti2 is what my old boss used.
1590672092198.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I use what I sell
In this case RGS oil bought in 5 gallon drums or Stens oil if it is cheap enough , also bought in 5 gallon drums.
Customers have the choice of RGS, Stens or Oregon oil only sold in 1 gallon or mesuring chamber bottles
FWIW I run everything here on 50:1, including all of the stuff supposed to be run on 25:1 or 32:1.
Modern ashless oils are so much better than what was around a decade ago.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Sorry but the carburetors do have L mixture adjustment. But you need the EPA plug (limiter cap) removal and insertion tool to access it. THe idle mixture is in the center of the rotary barrel.
SRM225 Adjustment.JPG
TOOL NOTE: * = 2.5mm Flat Blade Screwdriver
NOTE 1: Push Limiter Cap Tool firmly into cap & rotate CCW 2-turns then pull cap out of hole.
NOTE 4: Turn Idle Speed Screw CW or CCW until tip of needle just touches throttle plate, then turn CW the specified number of turns.