SOLVED - Honda GC160 2” Water Pump

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Please double check the Honda model number. Can’t find anything with a serial of 5606565.

AKTad

Forum Newbie
Threads
Without anything connected, the engine is only running on the pilot circuit
Once you hook something which puts a drag on the engine the governor allows the throttle to open fully so now the engine is running on the main jet as well.
Inside the tank should be a filter which may be clogged
The tap should have a replacable rubber seal that is prone to swelling and of course there is a sediment trap under the tap ( where fitted )
So is there anyway to make the engine run off the main jet too without putting the pump on? Would a governor adjustment work?
Also, is it fine to dry run the pump just for testing? I don’t want to damage the seals but I really have no way to test it

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Use your finger to open the throttle butterfly
Do it slowly because these engines do not handle reving above 5000 well at all

AKTad

Forum Newbie
Threads
Use your finger to open the throttle butterfly
Do it slowly because these engines do not handle reving above 5000 well at all
I used my finger to open the throttle and it sounded great. I basically added a light resistance to the governor arm and it wasn’t backfiring at all. I tried adjusting the pilot screw and it didn’t seem to do much. It did backfire more when it was leaner but it didn’t get fixed by simply adjusting pilot screw. Something bad did happen... the pilot screw broke off even though I was really gentle with it and only used the tips of my fingers to turn the screwdriver. The head sheared off the shank so either need to get a new screw and somehow remove the one stuck in the carb or just get a new carb.
Obviously it’s surging because of an improper air fuel mixture, but I do suspect the since the machine isn’t loaded the governor arm is having a hard time idling. What do you guys think?

AKTad

Forum Newbie
Threads
I can confidently say that it was not the original carb. I did get a new carb along with a complete gasket kit. The issue was because of an air leak caused by my incompetence. I had the carb insulator flipped so there was an air leak which caused a lean condition. I also suspect a couple of my other gaskets were leaky. The original carb was spotless and if the mixture valve didn’t break off I suspect it would have also worked perfectly.
Thanks for the help!

Richard320

Threads
I can confidently say that it was not the original carb. I did get a new carb along with a complete gasket kit. The issue was because of an air leak caused by my incompetence. I had the carb insulator flipped so there was an air leak which caused a lean condition. I also suspect a couple of my other gaskets were leaky. The original carb was spotless and if the mixture valve didn’t break off I suspect it would have also worked perfectly.
Thanks for the help!
Mechanic's Rule of Thumb: The last thing you worked on is the first thing to break.