So....What's Your Cleaning Procedure After Mowing?

mhavanti

Threads
One last thing, as a machine owner / operator, the dirty machines are usually not the ones that end up being bored out because they were worn out due to dirty air filters, washed down cylinders causing the cylinder walls to become scored so deeply that there isn't enough material left behind after a boring bar has had its way with them.

Usually the only engines that come into a shop for a major overhaul are those that are taken care of for ice cream season upon ice cream season. If for some reason the person decides to bring in their car, truck, tractor, mower or Kenworth before they remove the engine. You'll usually see a meticulously clean motorized equipment. They loved the quality of their engines and want them to continue their ownership and utilization because the equipment was as faithful to them as they were to the maintenance.

When we do see these engines, they are worn completely out, not just an engine that needed gaskets replaced or valve adjustments, timing gears, etc.

If someone inherits a mower that has been operated and never maintained, they may or may not want to have the engine refreshed because of sentimental reasons more than cost or value of service to the repairs.

From a shop that has built 4000 plus horsepower engines for nationally known drag and circle track cars, cleanliness is next to Godliness. Mas horsepower, mas torque, mas acceleration, mas fuel mileage, well haties, more lifespan plain and simple.

Weigh your cost to your life expectancy and it may change your mind on whether you clean or replace your filters. You may even compare these things to what you're doing to your bodies. It is much the same.

Good luck to one and all.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
To get "washdown" in the cylinders requires liquid fuel. If you have liquid fuel in the cylinders, you are so far below the air/fuel ratio required, that the engine would, at a minimum, be running very poorly and probably wouldn't even run at all. The only way you could possibly get that would be with a blocked air filter, not a dirty one. Engines lose power LONG before that point is reached.

But, whatever. Take them apart every hour and be sure to blow them out with 100 psi compressed air. If they're really dirty, soak them in soapy water, then rinse and again blow that paper pleated air filter element out with 100 psi compressed air. It's your equipment.

mhavanti

Threads
It doesn't require a flood of fuel necessarily to begin cutting the efficiency of lubrication. Carbon build up on the top of pistons and the top side of the top ring comes from excess fuel, which can cause pre-ignition and backfiring when shutting down or run on if it is bad enough. The atmospheric temperatures of a cylinder are also controlled by air fuel ratios, timing of spark during ignition in order to find the ultimate clean burn without carbonization.

A dirty air filter can and will cause some wash down. It can be minimal, depending upon the materials used, it can be past the point of minimal. Again, depends upon your choices of maintenance.

It is after all, just a mower and you can pick them up for a couple of hundred bucks anywhere. Oh wait, no, seems people have begin paying upward of twenty five thousand for just a mower. lol

Ok, I'm done regardless of internal knowledge of a combustion, piston powered engine.

Y'all come see us now, ya heah? lol

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
What brand oil is the best to use?

DK35vince

Threads
Some of you guys must be mowing dirt to need such frequent filter air cleanings.
I've owned my Super Z for 2 years ( averaging around 70/year ) and haven't needed to clean the air filter yet.
Pull it out last fall at 70 hours, looked so good I stuck it right back in. Didn't need cleaned or replaced.
I'm currently at 135 hours and the air filter restriction gauge is still only showing 3 inchs of water. Well within the green.(That's very little difference to what the filter was showing when new).
Recommended filter replacement is at 8 in. of water.
I will pull it out and check it this fall when my Z gets serviced, but I expect the air filter to be just fine.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Some of you guys must be mowing dirt to need such frequent filter air cleanings. I've owned my Super Z for 2 years ( averaging around 70/year ) and haven't needed to clean the air filter yet. Pull it out last fall, looked so good I stuck it right back in. Didn't need cleaned or replaced. I'm currently at 135 hours and the air filter restriction gauge is still only showing 3 inchs of water. Well within the green.(That's very little difference to what the filter was showing when new). Recommended filter replacement is at 8 in. of water. I will pull it out and check it this fall when my Z gets serviced, but I expect the air filter to be just fine.

135 hours in 2 years. I do that in a month.
Some yards are so dry and dusty. I have to stop and let the dust clear. Just so I can see where I am going.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Some of you guys must be mowing dirt to need such frequent filter air cleanings.
I've owned my Super Z for 2 years ( averaging around 70/year ) and haven't needed to clean the air filter yet.
Pull it out last fall at 70 hours, looked so good I stuck it right back in. Didn't need cleaned or replaced.
I'm currently at 135 hours and the air filter restriction gauge is still only showing 3 inchs of water. Well within the green.(That's very little difference to what the filter was showing when new).
Recommended filter replacement is at 8 in. of water.
I will pull it out and check it this fall when my Z gets serviced, but I expect the air filter to be just fine.

No we don't mow dirt, you mow dirt we mow sand and muck. There's a big difference in mowing in the South than the North and like Carscw said some yards are so dry and dusty you have to stop and let the dust clear just so I can see where your going , either that or your stuck in the muck after a two or three inch down pour.
I purchased a Z Master 48" for my residential s that I mow 13 months ago and in that time I've put right at 350hrs on the mower and that's about 9 months worth of mowing and doesn't count the additional mowing time I've put on the Grandstand or the Turf-Master. 70 hrs a year on a mower, a Super Z, I'd probably never look at the air filter either.

Cleaning the air filter and how often you go through the procedure depends on the air filter and system you run. I do the the grandstand foam filter every 25 hrs and clean the paper filter with the compressor every 50 and it all gets replaced after the third cleaning, same with the TM. The ZM outside filter gets cleaned every 50 with the compressor and the inside never gets removed or touched and both are replaced at 200 hrs.

Last edited:

DK35vince

Threads
I pulled my air filter out today at 135 hours.
Gave it a light tap, no loose dirt, everything still looks good. Stuck it right back in.
I will run it 1 more season (that should put me at just over 200 hours) then replace the filter.

mhavanti

Threads
Mr Purvis, in your expert opinion, how does a carburetor work?