So....What's Your Cleaning Procedure After Mowing?

gabowman

Threads
After owning my mower for 3 years now I'm pretty much in the rhythm of using the blower on the mower when finished and then rinsing it off good. I know this doesnt make the mower spotless but it does keep it in decent looking shape. When it was new I'd use soap on it but as with anything I own I guess I start slipping as the years go by.

So....what do you guys do after mowing, especially you guys that have owned for a few years now?

bradmc

Threads
I've only had my Hustler for 2 months, but this has been my practice with previous riders:

- I have a short 3 foot whip that I hook into the end of my retractable hose on my air compressor. The whip has a filter on it to screen out the oil from the pump so i don't blast the mower with an oily film. There is a jet nozzle at the end. I blow off all of the dust and grass from the mower, deck top, seat, engine bay...
- I pull off the intake air filter and blow it out from the inside with the air hose.
- I also remove the two plastic deck pulley/belt guards and get all the grass and crud out of there. I converted the guard hold downs from hex cap bolts to wing nuts to make the whole thing tool-less and quick.
- I lift the mower by its caster wheels on my Harbor Freight mower lift. I slide an old scrap of tarp under the deck and then use a plastic putty knife to scrape (usually) 10 pounds or more of clumped in grass from the underside of the deck.

Edit to add: I'll wash it with a hose and carwash soap each fall before putting it up for the winter.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
- I pull off the intake air filter and blow it out from the inside with the air hose.

I would definitely NOT do this. Leave your air filter alone until it's time to replace it. Dirty filters actually do a better job of filtering than clean ones. You may want to clean the wrapper, if it has one, but leave the filter itself alone.

kraky

Threads
Blow off w/blower when done. Put away till next time.
Wash only when muddy or end of season. I use a gilmour foam gun w/soft brush for washing....lots of suds...low pressure cleaning. (Also great for the motorcycle or debugging the front of the car).
I also have a harbor frt lift for scrape outs....but if i mow when grass s dry it stays clean underneath.

DK35vince

Threads
Mine gets pressure washed and serviced at the end of the season.
During the mowing season it rarely get washed unless its really muddy.

LeakyGasket

Threads
I don't have a ZTR yet, but wash a Fastrak in my dreams.

Freerider

Threads
I don't bother washing. I may occasionally blow it off. I do drive it up on car ramps after cutting my 3 acres and lay on my side and dig out the grass clinging to the inside of the deck. Clean deck means better mulching of clippings.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I blow off the mower after every lawn I do or before I load it on the trailer. I all so blow out the air filter every couple of days with the air hose to get all the crud out of the filter. I don't ever wash the things, that would be never ending when you mow daily.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
I blow off the mower after every lawn I do or before I load it on the trailer. I all so blow out the air filter every couple of days with the air hose to get all the crud out of the filter. I don't ever wash the things, that would be never ending when you mow daily.
See post #3.