So much confusion

Gator325

Threads
My Troy-Bilt engine died. Parts and labor for repair exceed the value of the unit.
The engine is a powermore and apparently they don't sell replacements.
I want to buy a new riding mower so I started doing some research.
I would really like one made in America but it seems everyone has theirs either made entirely in China or "Assembled in the USA with foreign parts"
Which to me means cheap steel and poor craftsmanship.
No matter which brand I look up there are 5 star reviews and one star reviews of the same mower.
In the time my neighbor has used the same Cub Cadet, I have went through a John Deere, and two Troy-Bilts.
Now I see Cub has started using Chinese engines. Briggs has foreign parts in it.
I am at a total loss and I can't afford a $4000 mower to get lasting quality.
Local Cub Cadets have Tecumseh engines (made in china) What ever happened to the American made riding mowers with the American made Briggs and Straiten engines???
I don't want to keep buying mowers every three or four years.
Lowes or Home Depot like stores are no help. If you start asking questions too deep they don't have answers.
Is everything made in China now days?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not trying to be cruel or a smartie, but that iis the way things are.
People refuse to pay for quality so they get cheap and cheap means sourcing the parts from outside the USA
Nothing is wholy made in any country any more & has not been done like that for decades.
If your mower is in good condition just replace the engine, plenty out there to chose from .
Quality costs money and good quality control costs even more .
Most modern mowers down here have a 10 year life span if and only if they are properly maintained.
But now days no one does mower maintenance .I replace about 6 engines a year because the owners are are too bone lazy to check the oil before they start the engine.
Plenty of places to buy a superceeded engine for your Troy-bilt or even the JD ( which are generally made a bit better than the others ) .
When it comes to mowers what is most important is getting the right mower for your situation.
I have replaced the engine on a TimeCutter 3 times
When I finally went to the customers yard it was obvious why he keeps on blowing engines , his block is way way too steep for a ZTR with a vertical shaft engine.
So he is now looking fora used Walker

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
What happened to the American made mowers was due to people wanting the best value for the cheapest price possible. So since the cost of mowers haven't gone up as much as they should of the quality dropped, and the companies went to countries to get stuff made cheaper. The Briggs Vanguard is US made but contains so foreign made parts. I am sure the Kohler Command is US assembled also but uses foreign parts. MTD with Troybilt and Cub Cadet started using Chinese manufactured engines in 2005 with the bankruptcy of Murray and Briggs being seen as a competitor after purchasing Murray, which is ironic now since MTD manufacturers the Murray and Snapper sold at Walmart mowers.

MTD owns the Troybilt and Cub Cadet names but manufacturers Murray, Toro consumer, Ariens, Walmart Snapper, and Craftsman mowers. But I think there is going to be a few changes since Briggs is selling off the mower manufacturing side of the business. I am thinking that MTD will get Murray, and Simplicity group will go to Toro but Snapper could be sold off separately to MTD.

Gator325

Threads
Not trying to be cruel or a smartie, but that iis the way things are.
People refuse to pay for quality so they get cheap and cheap means sourcing the parts from outside the USA
Nothing is wholy made in any country any more & has not been done like that for decades.
If your mower is in good condition just replace the engine, plenty out there to chose from .
Quality costs money and good quality control costs even more .
Most modern mowers down here have a 10 year life span if and only if they are properly maintained.
But now days no one does mower maintenance .I replace about 6 engines a year because the owners are are too bone lazy to check the oil before they start the engine.
Plenty of places to buy a superceeded engine for your Troy-bilt or even the JD ( which are generally made a bit better than the others ) .
When it comes to mowers what is most important is getting the right mower for your situation.
I have replaced the engine on a TimeCutter 3 times
When I finally went to the customers yard it was obvious why he keeps on blowing engines , his block is way way too steep for a ZTR with a vertical shaft engine.
So he is now looking fora used Walker
What happened to the American made mowers was due to people wanting the best value for the cheapest price possible. So since the cost of mowers haven't gone up as much as they should of the quality dropped, and the companies went to countries to get stuff made cheaper. The Briggs Vanguard is US made but contains so foreign made parts. I am sure the Kohler Command is US assembled also but uses foreign parts. MTD with Troybilt and Cub Cadet started using Chinese manufactured engines in 2005 with the bankruptcy of Murray and Briggs being seen as a competitor after purchasing Murray, which is ironic now since MTD manufacturers the Murray and Snapper sold at Walmart mowers.

MTD owns the Troybilt and Cub Cadet names but manufacturers Murray, Toro consumer, Ariens, Walmart Snapper, and Craftsman mowers. But I think there is going to be a few changes since Briggs is selling off the mower manufacturing side of the business. I am thinking that MTD will get Murray, and Simplicity group will go to Toro but Snapper could be sold off separately to MTD.
You have a valid point. I keep a log of oil changes, blades and maintenance on cars, truck and lawn equipment. It comes in very handy. Habitat builds homes and always equips each with a nice lawnmower. They were receiving complaints of the mowers not lasting because no one knew how to change the oil. Thanks for the imput.

henryn

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am at a total loss and I can't afford a $4000 mower to get lasting quality.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but you are not going to find any new ZTR mower with "lasting quality" for $4,000. Such an animal does not exist.

If you really want "lasting quality", and your budget is $4k or less, you need to be looking in the used market.

cruzenmike

Threads
One must define "last" to better understand their expectations. For $4000 you can have a more that will last 5-10 years, but not likely 15-20, at least not without throwing a lot of money into it after the 5-10 year mark. Only guarantees your get are in the warranty, and being that your best bet is treating it with respect and being meticulous with maintenance. While a ztr is quick and tropically cuts will, the same $4000 can get you a decent rider that can last just as long or longer. A guy in YouTube managed to get a Deere X380 for about $4100 which is a heck of a deal and would certainly give a decade or more of service.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Might could get the crank specs, (length, diameter) charging system amps, and go to small engine warehouse.com, may find an engine....

tennred

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought a Cub Cadet ZT2 50 in. 23 hp. American made Kawasaki engine ,2800 hydro. transmissions ( have resiviories ,and filters so you can change fluid ) Bearings in axels not bushings , front wheels do have grease bushings. The seat is very padded and have arm rest . The deck is fabricated , one thing I found out, you don't get grass buildup on top of deck. It is built between residentail and commerical mower, I really like mine, price 3999.99 tax included.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
In 1970, a Cub Cadet with 10 hp Kohler engine and 42" deck cost $1070. A Ford F100 pickup with 360 V8 and auto transmission was $3100. Both were American made.

The old saying "You get what you pay for" generally holds true. Compare the ratio of auto cost to mower cost today. Good, high quality mowers such as the Kubota BX series or top of the line John Deere are ten times what the old Cub Cadet cost and pickups are AT LEAST ten times what the 1970 Ford F100 cost. You can't expect to get $10,000 worth of mower for $4000 today; your 2020 dollar will only buy so much and no more.

NorthBama

Threads
I bought a Toro ZTR commercial in 2007 for 6100 dollars. I cut 3 acres of grass and have had no issues not even a belt replacement. I think it will last me many more years. Just saying