SO... does crack kill flywheels, too?

biggertv

Threads
That was caused by the key not seated properly when nut was torqued. Crank is probably damaged too. Quick and Dirty Unauthorized Fix: Make sure key is lined up. Drill a 3/16 hole thru the fly and crank,Hammer in a roll pin. works like a champ but no fun if you need to remove. Saves a Not Worth Repair situation.

Gumby83

Threads
Just to conclude this thread...

I didn’t find any problems with the crankshaft taper or key way - the new flywheel fit perfectly and I made sure the taper was completely dry before installing and torquing it.

I did take a second look at the old flywheel and key and found the key actually did have a damaged corner, so I’m sure that also played a part in the flywheel cracking.

Thanks again for the help.

FD2A1BA0-9516-475B-89FE-B5B5D7BA2135.jpeg9A4573BA-922A-476A-9230-B7BB82C95D4A.jpeg

TylerFrankel1

Threads
Hate to tell you this but you probably didn't need to mess with anything in the first place. Sometimes breathers are just noisy... I've never noticed any ill effects from them making a little "squak" I think its just the plastic valve material resonating. If it's cracked it's probably dangerous. I can't tell from the pics but is there any chance it's a scratch? Scratch doesn't matter, crack does.

Personally, and I'm not liable for any personal injuries, but personally I'm a cheap bastard and I'd run it and see what happens, keeping a good distance between me and the engine when it was running at first, just for fun. But if you already ordered a replacement definitely don't risk it.