Snowblower engine

beaverplt

Threads
Hi all,

I've got a conundrum with a snowblower repair in my shop. The engine was run without oil for, according to my customer, only a brief time. The connecting rod shattered sending shards throughout the engine. It is not salvageable in my opinion. Unfortunately, I can't find a replacement engine as it is a discontinued model. I did find a similar engine by Briggs, but it's got an air filter setup and apparently isn't for cold weather use. The blower is an Ariens 30" two stage. Obviously, a very pricey tool. I'd like to save it for my customer. I'd like to try the similar engine, but don't want to waste the guys money. Any opinions or experience would be appreciated.

beaverplt

Threads
I found those as well. The problem is the previous engine has a 1" x 2.765" shaft. The engine I was looking at is Model# 19N132-0055-F1. The specs show it will fit on the blower, but again, the air filter is throwing me off. I'm wondering if this item could stand up to winter usage.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
what is the model number of the snowblower?
1622141772823.png

beaverplt

Threads
The model number is 921013. The serial number is 002962.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
An engine with an air filter assembly will not work properly. First the air filter will freeze up, blocking the air horn. Second, there is no heat box surrounding the carb, which helps warm the cold alr for better vaporization of the fuel. Third, the jet sizes between a snowblower engine and warm weather engine are different. If you are able to change over these three things, you might be able to get it to run.

beaverplt

Threads
An engine with an air filter assembly will not work properly. First the air filter will freeze up, blocking the air horn. Second, there is no heat box surrounding the carb, which helps warm the cold alr for better vaporization of the fuel. Third, the jet sizes between a snowblower engine and warm weather engine are different. If you are able to change over these three things, you might be able to get it to run.
Thanks. I suspected as much, but never got a decent explanation until now. I at least have the summer to see if I can find a used replacement engine. Otherwise my customer is SOL.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The air filter thing may or may not be an issue in winter. I have a 1970's Sears ST12 with a HH120 engine. It is dedicated to blowing snow. It has the air cleaner element completely exposed and i can't put the hood on because of the frankensteined snowblower on it. Even with heavy wet snow falling it has never gotten wet and frozen up. Snowblowers and boat engines don't really need air filters because not much dirt in the air when using them. Lawnmower is a different story. I have run the tecumseh snow king engines with and without the heater box and never really saw a difference running. May help to warmup faster. I have seen chainsaws ice up but that was a humidity issue more than outside temps.