Snapping belts on older simplicty regent

Evil.Dingo

Threads
Hi, I have a Simplicity Regent Lawn Tractor, 38" Deck, 16HP Hydro (1693916) . Picked it up used, ran it for about a month until the belt snapped. I was turning the PTO off and on every time I went into the street so would not scalp the lawn. Trying for those dominating stripes!! Replaced the belt from a local simplicity dealer (I dont think it was a simplicity belt, it looked similar in color but it did not say simplicity on it), that one lasted a couple weeks until it also broke. (Clean break, almost like it was cut or snapped) Upon inspection the belt line seemed pretty steep from the idler pulley to the PTO. Like a 10 or 15 degree downward slant set at the highest cut level. The belt would also roll over and twist around 30 percent of time when engaging the PTO. This is my first riding mower so I am not sure about the "kick" when engaging the PTO. Is the Deck supposed to move almost kick when you engage the PTO?

So at this point, I figured I would tune it up. Replaced arbor bearings and the foam piece in between the arbor plates and one of the brass hubs which had started to eat the right side bearing. Cleaned and re greased the arbors. Took about 1/8 " of the idler arm bushing body and matched the spacer and bushings to fit with new bushings to reduce the 15 degree slant. Also replaced the idler pulley and relocated the idler pulley belt guard to where I think it should be. Grinded and sanded the the underneath of the deck and rust reformed it. Sharpened the blades and got a new simplicity belt.

Got it back together tonight around 8:00 pm, I live in a quit neighborhood with infants and toddlers, so I did not want to mow at this late hour. It seemed to do fine, but still kicks what seems pretty hard to me when engaging the PTO? is that normal for the simplicity since they have a floating deck?

Any input on what is normal with these mowers would be fantastic and appreciated. What Im looking for is info on degree of belt slope from idler to PTO and how much kick or shake is normal for the regents?

Thanks

Dave