Snapper Snow Blower I525 Auger

Mattmotors

Threads
Snapper I524 Model 5249 Serial# 84718343
Got this machine for free and I put some love into it. New tires, electric start, both belts and a paint job. Engine runs like new. My problem is with the auger. It keeps spinning when not engaged. Even before I put the new belts on (OEM Belts). I have the linkage backed off all the way. When I look at the auger belt, it is pretty loose on the engine pulley. When I push the lever down, the idler pulley takes the slack out and it wraps tight around the engine pulley.
This is my thought:The sides of the engine pulley are rough enough ( rusted ) to grip the side of the belt even though it is not engaged by the lever, gripping the belt causing the augers to spin. The auger rotates but not as fast as if I had the lever down.
Do you think if I took the belt off and hit the sides of the pulley with emery cloth to give a good polish it would correct the problem? Your thoughts. Thanks , Matt.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sounds like a plan, maybe scotchbrite pad also. Let us know results, thanks Mark

Mattmotors

Threads
Put some sand paper on the pulley and cleaned it up. Put it all back together. Tested and nothing changed. Auger still spins with the belt loose on the pulley. I have a new OEM belt on it. I wonder if going the next size bigger would correct the problem.