Repairs Snapper quality (any better than 10 years ago)

turbofiat124

Threads
I have mowed with nothing but Snapper 33" Hi-Vacs all my life. My father bought his first Snapper in 1979 when I was nine and that was what I learned to mow on.

I used this mower to mow my own lawn until around 2002 but bought a newer Snapper because it wouldn't pull right (clutch slipped around curves). Turned out the rear wheel bearings were shot was why I had so much trouble with the clutch. The last straw was when the drive chain broke and the rear wheels locked up so I decided to hang it up. So it got quite a bit of use.

I bought a three year old 2000 model and used it for about 8 years. Finally wore the paper thin deck out from hitting tree roots and took the deck off the 79 model and transplanted it to the 2000 model. And it works well! That 79 deck shows virutally no wear on the bottom lip.

Not sure when Snapper quality started to go down hill but I found around 2000, the quality really started to hit rock bottom.

Front wheels made out of stamped sheet metal instead of forged steel welded together. Dad has replaced the front wheels on his because if you hit something hard enough it will crack it and sheer off at the hub with no warning.

Paper thin decks that probably weigh 20 lbs lighter that won't hold up to going over tree roots. Whole mower probably weighs 50 lbs lighter than the 79 model due to thinner steel.

Dad has a 1999 model. As of right now the triangle piece the tie-rods connect to that is welded to the steering column broke so I'm either going to weld it or see if the steering column from the 79 model will fit it. I think it's from where he had hit things in the yard and cracked the weld.

Here's the question. I like my 46" Husquvarna because it knocks almost 2 hours off mowing my yard compared to my Snapper 33" Hi-Vac but really miss the traction, ability to see in front of me and the fact it mulches better.

But because the quality went to pot, I would be afraid to buy a new Snapper. I heard Simplicity bought Snapper. Can anyone say if the quality has improved?

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
The quality of mine went down hill about 25 years ago when internal parts fell apart with an estimated less than 100 hours. Of course the warranty didn't cover that because it goes by date sold and not by hours operated. So reach for your wallet to the tune of 200+ bucks.

In my opinion they are the most inconvenient to operate pieces of lawn equipment ever made. So if anyone wants it for scrap iron price it's available, but you must take the rust too.

Attachments

• snapper parts.jpg
    snapper parts.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 20