Snapper Project

Hklinker

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am restoring an old Snapper Hi-Vac from the early 80's. Had to replace the Tecumseh motor with an 11HP B&S. Just finished rebuilding the motor and carburetor, but still having some issues with the throttle plate. Also, I would like to repaint and re-decal the motor. Any ideas on how to go about this would be greatly appreciated!

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Welcome to LawnMowerForum!

I moved your thread to the Snapper Forum. :smile:

dogon1013

Threads
I have a similar mower (1984 vintage, rear engine rider). It has the tecumsah motor which had a broken valve spring retainer. I re-made the broken one and now it is up and running again.

What was wrong with the tecumsah you had that you had to get rid of it?

No idea about how to get new decals, but painting should not be too difficult....though I kind of like the worn-in look of mine.

Hklinker

Forum Newbie
Threads
I rebuilt the Tecumseh and did not put Loctite on the connecting rod bolts. It ran like a top until the day the connecting rod came through the block, breaking both the top and bottom pieces.:mad:

I decided it wasn't worth trying to pick up the parts on eBay, so I junked it. my neighbor was dragging an old Snapper to the trash one day, and I intercepted him. The 11HP B&S ran, but used more oil than gas. I have just finished rebuilding it and am awaiting some seals for the carburetor to finish it up.

B&S painted their engines black, except for Snapper, which they painted the off-white. I would prefer the off-white, but it's very hard to find high-temperature paint that color. The carburetor cleaner took most of the paint off the block and the flanges and flywheel cover are very rusty.

I will post an update once the carburetor is remounted.