Snapper Hi-Vac Commercial with 5hp WI 185v?

crazydave

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, new member here. I just got an email from a guy who has a Hi-Vac Commercial with a 5hp Wisconsin Robin engine. (WI 185v) He says it's complete and just needs belts. This would be my main mower if purchased. (It is VERY inexpensive). I know these are good mowers, but having never had one before, could somebody give me some tips on what to look for? I don't mind putting a couple of bucks into it, and I'm good with a wrench but I don't want to end up with a mower that needs way too many parts. What's the difference between the commercial and non-commercial hi-vacs?

Also, I know nothing about these engines. From what I see on the forum here, this is a real solid motor. Are parts still available?

Thanks for the help!

Dave

Here is a pic:

Attachments

• 00q0q_bZqrv0ZjnqF_600x450.jpg
    00q0q_bZqrv0ZjnqF_600x450.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 93

Snapperfreak

Threads
The commercial units had heavy duty brackets and straps attaching the handlebars to the deck, longer handlebars and a bigger bag. Also they all had the 5hp engines. Yes it's an awesome machine but parts can be hard to come by. A coil could run u over $100 if u can find one. That being said, if it starts up and runs pretty good if grab it, it's worth it.

crazydave

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Snapperfreak. If I pick it up I will start looking for parts to hold on to!

Myamada1230

Threads
I have had 4 or 5 commercial snappers with commercial Wisconsin robin engines on them, and I've got to say, they are awesome. As snapperfreak said, they are pretty hard to find parts for. I spent over $250.00 on a carburetor for one of mine. I'd definitely pick it up. When you say inexpensive, how inexpensive are you talking?

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

Myamada1230

Threads
Here's one of mine, a little newer though. Same engine:

image-1316912490.png

image-294129463.png

crazydave

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks Myamada, Actually I didn't want to give too much info yesterday for fear that someone else would swoop in and grab it since it was just listed on Craigslist. I picked it up last night. It's complete as far as I can tell, just needs a cleaning and some attention. It's got the bag with no holes, and the chute. The guy I bought it from said that the self propelled assembly stopped working but I did not get a chance to look at it yet. He also threw in the thatcherizer attachment which looks like it's barely been used.

The kicker? 30 bucks! I think he was expecting me to offer less but I didn't have the heart.

I will post up some pics when I get it cleaned up a bit.

Oh, Myamada....... Do you know where I can get an air filter for this engine?

Snapperfreak

Threads
Wow $30?! With the thatcherizer?! In like-new condition those can be twice that by themselves on eBay. That was an awesome deal. The sp issue we can figure out.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Very good deal.

He had no clue what he had.
The SP should be a easy fix.

Myamada1230

Threads
I just acquired this, gave it some love, and sold it for $250.00. Needed a carb rebuild, and new self propell belts. It was a one owner since 1980, part of me wishes I hung on to it. It was a very clean mower.

image-1418466383.png