Snapper drive belt

smitty316

Forum Newbie
I have a 21" commercial Snapper. Since my last Snapper they have switched to a self-tightening belt. This means they don't use an iddler pully. My last Snapper I used for 17 years and only replaced the belt once and eventually the iddler pully. My new Snapper needed a new belt after the first year and it often falls off in the middle of mowing. I took it back to the dealer and he made an adjustment, but it still falls off sometimes.

When I told the dealer about this he just said it isn't as good as the old design and shrugged his sholders.

Has anyone else dealt with this problem and is there anything I can do to improve this?

Thanks, Smitty
 
Are you talking about the mower deck belt ?
If so - It isn't mine, but an 85 year old neighbor has had Snapper RERs for years and has liked them UNTIL his BIL got him a new 33" - He calls it "The Bone Shaker" It shakes and there is no real belt adjustment except to stretch the frame tube. POOR design change:thumbdown:, and yes, his belt comes off and it was never the case with the older models.
 
Are you talking about the mower deck belt ?
If so - It isn't mine, but an 85 year old neighbor has had Snapper RERs for years and has liked them UNTIL his BIL got him a new 33" - He calls it "The Bone Shaker" It shakes and there is no real belt adjustment except to stretch the frame tube. POOR design change:thumbdown:, and yes, his belt comes off and it was never the case with the older models.

I'm not sure what the belt is called, but it goes from the crank shaft pully to the drive disk. They call it a stretch belt. And yes it is a very poor design. I probably wouldn't have speant so much money on this machine if I knew about this change.

Thanks, Smitty
 
Howdy Smitty. I know this is a bit off topic but do you Own a Carpenter bus with a dt360?
 
this probably isn't much help but i'll never buy a new mower again because of issues like this. i love my two 25ish-year-old snapper 21" self-propelled mowers. strong engines (wisconsin-robin and briggs ic but hopefully soon another wisconsin robin) good decks, good mechanical design, just love the old ones.
new has its benefits i'm sure but if i were u i'd sell the new one and find an old one with a good strong engine.
 

Attachments

  • mowers021412 001.jpg
    mowers021412 001.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 13
this probably isn't much help but i'll never buy a new mower again because of issues like this. i love my two 25ish-year-old snapper 21" self-propelled mowers. strong engines (wisconsin-robin and briggs ic but hopefully soon another wisconsin robin) good decks, good mechanical design, just love the old ones.
new has its benefits i'm sure but if i were u i'd sell the new one and find an old one with a good strong engine.
Beautiful mowers! I'd love to see more of them.
 
hi jmurray01! i just happened to have a few more pics for u. how's this?
 

Attachments

  • mowers021412 002.jpg
    mowers021412 002.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 10
  • mowers021412 003.jpg
    mowers021412 003.jpg
    230.9 KB · Views: 10
  • mowers021412 004.jpg
    mowers021412 004.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 9
  • mowers021412 005.jpg
    mowers021412 005.jpg
    259.1 KB · Views: 10
I don't think anyone has ever made a push mower as good as the older snappers

Sent from my iPhone using LMF
 
Back
Top