Snapper Carb Help

triadtitleist

Forum Newbie
Threads
I,m not sure what would make it do this but if I drizzle a little gas in the carb it starts up then quits. ???? Does anyone have any ideas except a new carb.??

bt3

Threads
I,m not sure what would make it do this but if I drizzle a little gas in the carb it starts up then quits. ???? Does anyone have any ideas except a new carb.??

There could be a few issues going on here. I would guess the carb is not delivering gas, or at least not enough gas to continue the combustion process. Your "drizzling" gets things moving but not enough to keep things going.

The first Issue I would address would be fuel delivery to the carb bowl. If there is delivery to the bowl is there an issue with float or needle valve? Are the jets clogged? It does not take much to clog a mower jet if the mower has been left unserviced for a long time. Is the air filter clean? I sometimes start without an air filter on and spray some quick start in the carb to get things moving on a stubborn to start motor.

I don't think you would need a new carb without first trying to service the existing one. I'm not 100 percent familiar with your model Snapper, but I'm sure you can still get a carb kit. That's the first thing I'd try as long as fuel is getting to the carb and your air filter is clean enough. The age of your mower alone would make me suspect a bad float or needle issue. I'd pull that carb and clean it and replace the float and needle.

I'm sure you know this, but the cardinal rules are Air, Fuel, Compression, Spark. I'd put in a new plug if you have not already done so, check the compression, clean the air filter and/or replace it, and get that carb cleaned and serviced with a new float and needle, making sure the jets are squeaky clean.

Threads
I agree it is not getting gas. If it runs on a prime as you say, it is getting spark compress ion etc.

If you put the engine away with gas in the carb it is probably " gunked up" and a cleaning is in order. always run the engine dry at the end of the season.

do not run it on last years gas. Gas has a shelf life of about 3 months max

Assuming you have a Briggs and Stratton engine, if you go to their website you can download their manual
don't put a lot of gas in the tank because you will probably remove and replace the tank a few times in this process

for my 12 hp if reads like this
1 gently close both the idle and high speed needle valves... clockwise DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN

The idle valve is on the top and the high speed is on the bottom under the bowl

2 open the idle screw one turn counter counter clockwise and the high speed 1 1/2 turns counter clockwise. these are the initial settings to get the engine running

3 start the engine on run and then move the throttle to idle. If it won't run past the prime you need to clean the carb. Some times a little carb cleaner spray right into the gas will clean out the gunk.

After you get the gas flowing you can tweak the carb settings for a smooth idle and variable speed settings on the throttle