Engine Snapper 28" Hi-VAC Blowing oil out of the exhaust.

tlaird8109

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Snapper 28" Hi-VAC Blowing oil out of the exhaust.
I Have a 12hp OHV rear engin riding snapper mower that is 7years old. I keep it in great condition. However, I tried to start is last week and it started gushing smoke. It looks like oil was coming out of the exhaust and it wold stall out. Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be. Is this something that someone is pretty handy can fix themselfs.

Tom

Duffer72

Threads
Check your oil to A. make sure not overfull B. check if it has gas in it, it may show overfull and have a strong smell of gas, if it does then carb is leaking and letting fuel run into intake and into cly and then past rings into crankcase, if so you need to clean carb as a min, drain the oil , replace oil filter if so equiped. The float needle may not be seating properly, doesn't take much dirt to cause this. Also take plug out and let it crank over for 15-20 seconds to blow anything in the cly out and replace the plug..

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hello Tom ... And WELCOME to LMF...

I believe Duffer72 has you on the solution to your problem... I'd bet the oil will show over full and have a lot of gasoline in it... check the float and needle shut off like mentioned... :smile:KennyV

tlaird8109

Forum Newbie
Threads
Check your oil to A. make sure not overfull B. check if it has gas in it, it may show overfull and have a strong smell of gas, if it does then carb is leaking and letting fuel run into intake and into cly and then past rings into crankcase, if so you need to clean carb as a min, drain the oil , replace oil filter if so equiped. The float needle may not be seating properly, doesn't take much dirt to cause this. Also take plug out and let it crank over for 15-20 seconds to blow anything in the cly out and replace the plug..

Duffer72, thank you & KennyV for the responce. I did what you had suggested and it worked. A repair shop quoted me a price of Aprox. $ 400.00 to repair this mower. I can't thank you enough for this advise.

The oil was in fact loaded with gas .I cleaned the carbrator, changed the oil and "wam", it fired right up and now runs great. Again, thank you..

Tom

Duffer72

Threads
Glad we could help. As a suggestion double check the oil in a few days to make sure the carb isn't still leaking, if it is you can drain it again as before and install an inline shut off valve on the fuel line, when you cut the grass and finish park it shut the fuel off and let it run 45-60 seconds and then shut it off, that will keep anymore from running into the engine. I put them on all of my mowers just as precautionary measure.

gitnby

Threads
Just out of curiousity, I checked my oil level and it was fine, but I did notice a slight smell of gasoline in the oil.

I don't have any of the issues that tlaird mentioned. Motor runs great!

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just out of curiousity, I checked my oil level and it was fine, but I did notice a slight smell of gasoline in the oil.

I don't have any of the issues that tlaird mentioned. Motor runs great!

Did your oil seem too thin... if you get gasoline in the oil it will greatly reduce the viscosity, allowing it to get by the rings and it will burn off... the oil level may look about right for a while but eventually as the cylinder and rings erode, you will not be able to keep oil in it...
If you have gas in your oil, fix the problem ASAP, before the engine eats itself up... :smile:KennyV

gitnby

Threads
By " cleaning the carb", I assume you mean run some carb cleaner spray through the throat while running?

Not sure what the float and needle shut off is?

How do I check those?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
By " cleaning the carb", I assume you mean run some carb cleaner spray through the throat while running?

Not sure what the float and needle shut off is?

How do I check those?

Go to this site... scroll down & on the left side when you spot your engine carb select it... it will show you everything you will need to do including a lot of pictures and the reassembly....
Small Engine Equipment Troubleshooting, Repairs and Safety
Follow the steps and you will be able to do it.... :smile:KennyV

gitnby

Threads
Go to this site... scroll down & on the left side when you spot your engine carb select it... it will show you everything you will need to do including a lot of pictures and the reassembly....
Small Engine Equipment Troubleshooting, Repairs and Safety
Follow the steps and you will be able to do it.... :smile:KennyV

Thanks!

Rather than take the whole thing apart, I took the carb off, cleaned the plates with carb cleaner and sprayed some inside. Let it dry out for a few hours, and ran the mower at different speeds for 1/2 hour.

Exhaust seemed much cleaner, it ran great, and no gas in the oil so far.

Thanks a bunch!