Snapper 28" 10.5 HP Comet II SR95 ????????????????

primodude

Threads
Well, yesterday I kinda lucked out. A gentleman just gave me outright a Snapper Comet RER lawn mower. Outright.. freebie.
Well, Ininvested in a new battery, oil change, spark plug, and it rips right off first turn of the ignition key. Much more to do as it
needs new blade also. But basically its still a firm solid unit. I need tires, manual and parts listings.
Please steer me to the right parts locations.. thanks.
PrimoDude

rarebear

Threads
partstree sells B&S parts who makes replacement parts for Snapper now..
They have parts lists on site..
Make sure you get 00 Grease for your rear chain drives and keep them topped off. I order mine from Napa down here for $11 a quart..

primodude

Threads
  • / Snapper 28" 10.5 HP Comet II SR95 ????????????????
Make sure you get 00 Grease for your rear chain drives and keep them topped off. I order mine from Napa down here for $11 a quart..

Chain Drives?? I need to find a model or series numbers for this Comet II. What I believe I have is the clutch disc drive.. :confused2: I just ordered new nylon steering joint inserts, and a new Clutch dish. I think I have the number six as everything in that parts picture is a match.
Tis a struggle when rebuilding a unfamiliar mower. Many thanks on the tips.. All are of value.
"PrimoDude"

Updates.... RAREBEAR, Yes, I now know what the chain drive parts are that were referred to. .And I do thank you for the 00 grease or oil you mentioned. I am just beginning to learn all the aspects of these Snapper mowers.
This forum is great.

Last edited:

rarebear

Threads
There is two sealed sheet metal units with the rear axle running through them.. Inside is drive chains and they need to be greased..
There is black plugs you pop out and squeeze the grease into..
That and grease all the grease fittings front wheels and rear axles.. You will need a grease gun for that..

primodude

Threads
Amen bro.. and thank you kind sir!!!!!
:cool:

rarebear

Threads
PS: If you screw down the valve on top of the gas cap you can grab the front end from underneath and stand the mower up on it's tail for working on bottom..
The blade spindle has a grease fitting under it... My mower is 35 years old and still cutting well..

primodude

Threads
Good suggestions again.. That has entered my mind. But right now on the first mower, I am tearing off the mess of a mower deck and putting on a new deck. The older Comet is waiting for repairs to come in next week. Both Snappers are very jerky and hard to shift. Lots to do.
Thanks again.. we are gaining.
:)

primodude

Threads

Gaining ground here, as I found the model numbers.. Tis a model 280812T. But finding the parts assembly pictorials was another task. If you find the DECALS link, there are two parts.
Decals 1 and clicking on that brings up Decals 2.
HTTP://www.snapperpartsdistributors.com/OEM parts
Either click will show what few parts are still available.

Its a bugger putting together a oldie into a working newbie again.. but I have a sense of satisfaction of reviving a dying puppy.:wink:
Cheers..
PrimoDude
PS.. getting that grease too.. :laughing:

OOOPS... your suggestion of PARTSTREE is excellent.. forget the link above. Its not valid.. this one is.
Snapper M281021BE (84580) - Snapper 28 Rear-Engine Rider, 10 HP, M Series 21 Diagrams and Parts List | PartsTree.com

Last edited: