Engine Smoking Engine

broad514

Forum Newbie
I have a Briggs and Stratton 15.5hp engine on my mower giving me some problems.
Oil leaks into the carburettor and causes the engine to smoke and stop working.
I thought the problem was the oil breather and replaced the part but still the same, so I checked the compression thinking of faulty rings but the compression is good. I also checked the seal around the dipstick only to find that ok.
Could anyone advise me what could be causing the problem
 
More than likely the head gasket is blown between cylinder and valve chest.
pressure from the cylinder will push oil up into air filter through the breather .
 
Would that not give me a loss of compression as I have tested the engine with a compession tester and have had a good reading ?
 
Briggs dont give compression readings as they cant give it as an accurate reading.
If there was a good reading it would rule out rings.
A compression test would not always show head gasket only that compression was down on that cylinder. You would then have to decide what part had failed.
Going by experience i would say head gasket.
 
Back
Top