Smoke after re-start (while hot)

jeremyschroder

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 2006 snapper ninja mower with a Briggs engine. The engine starts fine cold and does not smoke but, if I stop it and restart it while it's still hot I get a puff of white spoke. Can anyone offer any suggestions as to what might be causing this?

I've searched google and these forums but have only been able to find information on continuous smoke or smoke on cold starts.

Thanks in advance for any info!

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Check oil level on dipstick & adjust valves with engine cold.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Sounds like a valve seal issue.

When checking the oil, make sure the dipstick is screwed all the way into the tube.

Are you running 5w-30 oil?

slomo

jeremyschroder

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the information. What's the deal with the dip stick? I'm pretty sure it's being screwed in all the way, but I'll double check.

I'll also check the valves.

I'm not sure what weight oil is in it at the moment - my father in law has had the mower for the past few years and has been handling the oil changes himself.

Thanks again for the replies! Much apprecieated.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
White puff of smoke can either be oil or fuel. If engine is hot and a slug of fuel left in the intake when engine stopped it can blow a puff of grey/white smoke when it cleans out and runs. It can also be a bit of oil in the crankcase breather system that gets sucked through the carb on restart. Or it could be worn rings with a bit of oil left in the cylinder or badly worn valve guides. If the engine is using oil may be cause for concern but if the engine is not burning oil probably no need for concern.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks for the information. What's the deal with the dip stick? I'm pretty sure it's being screwed in all the way, but I'll double check.

I'll also check the valves.

I'm not sure what weight oil is in it at the moment - my father in law has had the mower for the past few years and has been handling the oil changes himself.

Thanks again for the replies! Much apprecieated.
Some small engines have you park the stick on top of the tube threads and most all you screw the stick all the way into the tube, when checking oil level.

Dump in some 30w and try it. Some people run 5w-30 and 10w-30 oils (bad idea). Those burn off faster as they are a 5 and 10 grade oil from the start. A 30w oil is a 30 grade. So a 5w oil is much thinner as well as a 10w oil, than, 30w. They have viscosity index improvers to make them as viscous as a 30w at 100C temp. Recap, they are much thinner oils but have the same viscosity at 100C. So when these, important tip coming, air cooled engines operate, the base stock and additive pack gets sheared away fast. 30w oil is always a safe bet in most mower engines.

slomo

Last edited:

wrldtvlr

Threads
Some small engines have you park the stick on top of the tube threads and most all you screw the stick all the way into the tube, when checking oil level.
This almost caught me with my Cub Cadet RZT/Kawasaki. Had never run into not screwing the dip stick in before.