small shovels?

mamaA

Threads
I tend to buy the cheap shovels that Walmart has so I can dig small holes when planting. The problem I have is they rust. Is there a better brand that will not rust? And will rust on a shovel affect the plant?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Plunge it into sand or earth a couple times and it will have the loose rust gone... use it a lot and it will polish up like chrome....
Or you can spend a LOT and get plated, chrome or gold :eek:, and most likely not have any rust... if it is a good plating job and not just a cheep ceremonial plated shovel...
No need to be worried about the iron that gets in your soil from the shovel...:smile:KennyV

mamaA

Threads
Good to know! I have no interest in a gold plated shovel. LOL Who in their right mind would buy something like that? :confused2: I have tried plastic but I break them like tiny sticks. I guess I am a bit rough on my tools...

Hershey

Threads
LOL I think I'd rather deal with the rust than something that pricey. Rust, however, is a big pain. We have it forming in a couple of places and are dealing with how to get rid of it. Geez, even my car has a bit of rust on it.

mamaA

Threads
Um.. thanks? lol :tongue: I think I'll get two. That way I'll always have a spare. :wink:

Hershey, rust is some bad stuff. Once it starts it's hard to stop especially on a vehicle. Good luck! I hope you can keep it under control.

VRman

Threads
Pick up some rust inhibitor at a local hardware or auto store. I think rust-oleum would even work.:thumbsup:

Helper

Threads
Rust develops when the shovel is stored for a long time. Having rust in my shovel means that I need to use it again so I don't really hate it. It helps me remind that I need to use it when it starts rusting.

noma

Threads
Hay mamaA

There is a way to make your shovel not rust ,but there is a little work involved every time you use it you need to clean it with water and a rag to dry it or a hand wire brush to get all the dirt of then dry it with a rag ,have another rag with oil on it and give it a coat of oil each time you use it it will say nice and shinny and it,s easy er to use when its cleaned up the dirt doesn't stick when you use it next time. You don,t need a heavy coat of oil on your shovel try it and see what you think and if you have a rag with oil on it ready every time it doesn't take long to to it each time you use it.