Slow cranking

Muldrick

Threads
JD Z225 with JD 18.5 hp.
tries to start, acts like it is Hydro locked, replaced starter four times because one showed a 400 amp draw.
replace it again with a used one this time.
it won’t even crank, when I try to start it, and acts like the battery is dead, and barely moves the engine. Battery is brand new, and I even try to start it with the new battery (fully charged) and a jumper box attached.
I remove the spark plug to which it cranks fine, I removed it to blow out any excess fuel it might have in it, I did not see any fuel come out. I did this while I had the fuel line blocked off. Reinstall the spark plug, and it again doesn’t want to crank, or spin over the engine.
Ran a four gauge wire directly from the starter to the battery, so it is not an electrical problem. Checked negative to ground on the battery and added another ground.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Lets start with some engine information like the model number information. Certain engine are prone to specific issues but without knowing what engine you have it could be a pentastar for all we know.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Valves are out of adjustment or the decompressor has failed

Muldrick

Threads
Valves are out of adjustment or the decompressor has failed
I’ll check the valve adjustment intake was at .006. I set it at .004. Made no difference. Exhaust is at .006.
Please tell me more about the decompressor.

Muldrick

Threads
Lets start with some engine information like the model number information. Certain engine are prone to specific issues but without knowing what engine you have it could be a pentastar for all we know.
Model 31P777

Muldrick

Threads
I’ll check the valve adjustment intake was at .006. I set it at .004. Made no difference. Exhaust is at .006.
Please tell me more about the decompressor.
Never mind, I figured it out, the decompressor failed

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks for coming back
The decompressors on the 31 & 33 series fail very regularly
I keep seeral of the cams in stock for this reason
Do not run the engine till it is fixed as the broken bits can get jambed in the engine and do more damage
Not a bit repair but does require removing the engine so at a shop will usually have a 5 hour labour charge
So if you do not feel lke tackleing it yourself then pull the engine ans send the CLEANED engine to you nearest workshop.
A real workshop ( the ones that only do repairs & sell used mowers ) will usually do it faster, cheaper & better than a glass front new mower retailer .

Muldrick

Threads
Thanks for coming back
The decompressors on the 31 & 33 series fail very regularly
I keep seeral of the cams in stock for this reason
Do not run the engine till it is fixed as the broken bits can get jambed in the engine and do more damage
Not a bit repair but does require removing the engine so at a shop will usually have a 5 hour labour charge
So if you do not feel lke tackleing it yourself then pull the engine ans send the CLEANED engine to you nearest workshop.
A real workshop ( the ones that only do repairs & sell used mowers ) will usually do it faster, cheaper & better than a glass front new mower retailer .
Thanks. I am going to attempt this myself. Auto tech for 30 years I think I can handle it.