"SLOPE RATING" - New term to me

WeldGuy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am purchasing a Steiner 450 with a Briggs 27 HP engine SPECIFICALLY set up to mow a 30 degree sloped area of a large dam. It is set up with dual wheels front and rear and the dealer even has a 30 degree slope to demo it.
Here's my question: Reading through the literature, I came upon a rating of "Maximum ten minutes continuous on a 30 degree slope." The time increase to 20 minutes on a 20 degree slope. Why is there a time limit given for mowing a slope? I'm guessing it has to do with oil circulation and related cooling, but I'd like to know for sure what the reason is.
Will I need to establish a mow pattern of slope, flat, slope, flat?

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Two things. Oil on a slope may not be picked up by the oil pump slinger especially if slightly low. and can also effect gas in the carb which in some cases is the deciding factor.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, you have nailed it
If you have slopes then you really need to get a mower with a horizontal crank shaft engine
Vertical crank engines have a large shallow sump so on slopes it is easy to get the oil pump inlet to be sucking air.
Also no vertical shaft engines have rolling element bearings on the crankshafts any more , the cranks run direct on the cases.
Thus the top of the crank shaft runs dry on slopes trashing the engine.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I myself would pass on that mower. Get a small gently used tractor, not a lawn tractor.

So many minutes at so many degrees tells me the engine manufacturer knows of the oiling limitations. Should be a personal alert to you.

slomo

WeldGuy

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK... my bad. The engine is a B&S Vanguard 993 cc V-Twin, 37 HP. Now that I see the oil related specs I am wondering if the "slope rating" is really about oil. From the literature:
  • Oil cooler reduces oil temperature, improves lubrication and extends oil change intervals
  • Dura-Bore cast iron cylinder sleeve assures long engine life and oil control
  • Convenient oil drain locations for trouble-free maintenance
  • Full-pressure lubrication with spin-on oil filter cleans oil and protects engine components to ensure maximum lubrication and long life
  • Centrally located oil pump and pick up for faster priming allows for a higher angle of operation
  • Pressure-regulated full flow oil filtration keeps oil clean longer, extends time between oil changes and improves bearing life
  • Oil dipstick provides easy access to check oil levels
You thoughts now????????????????

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Does not change a thing
I keep some old sumps to show customers who have seized their engines on a slope why it happens
One day I will cut the top off one so they can see exactly at what angle the oil no longer covers the oil pick up hole
These engines have 5/8 of SFA oil in them and it does not take much of a tilt to have the oil pump run dry .
They vary the position so some can tilt further left than right and others are visa versa so I gave up advising people which way to mow hills other than strait up & down
And again I tell you that a vertical shaft engine is the cheapest nastiest piece of trash ever made .
And this is because mower buyers are the cheapest , stingiest people on the planet and will not fork out for a quality mower with a quality engine.
Made abundantly clear by the fact that all the quality engine makers have exited the Lawn Tractor market .
Not all that long ago the GT's ( next size up from Lawn tractors ) all had the far more expensive and substantially better made & longer life horizontal shaft engines in them.
But now days they are a badly made as the trashiest Lawn Tractor and getting worse by the minute.
Quality makers who value their good name above an extra 1% dividend for their shareholders still use horizontal shaft engines that have a deep small surface area sump so can work at extreme angles which is why you also find horizontal shaft engines in skid steers loaders and small excavaitors .
Now because the buying public are no longer able to thinks things through and are happy to but a new mower every 5 years just so they can bragg about having a brand new mower, the advertisers prattle on about how high a quality piece of precision engineering the absolute junk engines shoved into modern mowers are.
But because they are so cheap ( and nasty ) you can buy a "Sexy Shinny " new mower for peanuts.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK... my bad. The engine is a B&S Vanguard 993 cc V-Twin, 37 HP. Now that I see the oil related specs I am wondering if the "slope rating" is really about oil. From the literature:
  • Oil cooler reduces oil temperature, improves lubrication and extends oil change intervals
  • Dura-Bore cast iron cylinder sleeve assures long engine life and oil control
  • Convenient oil drain locations for trouble-free maintenance
  • Full-pressure lubrication with spin-on oil filter cleans oil and protects engine components to ensure maximum lubrication and long life
  • Centrally located oil pump and pick up for faster priming allows for a higher angle of operation
  • Pressure-regulated full flow oil filtration keeps oil clean longer, extends time between oil changes and improves bearing life
  • Oil dipstick provides easy access to check oil levels
You thoughts now????????????????
No need to reduce oil temps in a lawn mower. In a full blown race car, yes. And any time you see "extended oil changes", THAT slogan is a sales gimmick.

Centrally located oil pump means nothing on 30 degree hills. At 30, still a chance the oil pump can suck air. Remember these small engines hold like a quart and a half'ish of oil. Not a gallon or more. If you want to impress me, make the oil sump a full gallon on a commercial engine. Or install a dry sump. Then 30 degree hills would be no problem. All of the other bullets are written by a sales team in some cubical.

Ask the dealer to get you a hand written legal document from the mower and engine manufacturers stating 30 degrees is no problem. And that whey will replace the engine if it fails for free. Put THAT on their sales brochure. That would sell some mowers.

slomo

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
No need to reduce oil temps in a lawn mower. In a full blown race car, yes. And any time you see "extended oil changes", THAT slogan is a sales gimmick.

Centrally located oil pump means nothing on 30 degree hills. At 30, still a chance the oil pump can suck air. Remember these small engines hold like a quart and a half'ish of oil. Not a gallon or more. If you want to impress me, make the oil sump a full gallon on a commercial engine. Or install a dry sump. Then 30 degree hills would be no problem. All of the other bullets are written by a sales team in some cubical.

Ask the dealer to get you a hand written legal document from the mower and engine manufacturers stating 30 degrees is no problem. And that whey will replace the engine if it fails for free. Put THAT on their sales brochure. That would sell some mowers.

slomo
Briggs does have a dry sump version of a Vanguard that holds 5 quarts with an external oil tank and a 45 degree operation rating. The engine he is talking about holds at least 2 quarts even though the manual says 78-80 ounces. My 35 vanguard holds 2 quarts to full mark.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Briggs does have a dry sump version of a Vanguard that holds 5 quarts with an external oil tank and a 45 degree operation rating. The engine he is talking about holds at least 2 quarts even though the manual says 78-80 ounces. My 35 vanguard holds 2 quarts to full mark.
Bet the Briggs with that dry sump is $$$$. This is what the OP needs.

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I got one here in the back of one of the vans pretending to be sheds.
Came off a genset made for emergency services for use during disasters so had a 10 gallon fuel tank and an external oil tank with cooler .
Was, going to put it in a deceased Dingo but it was too tall .